PDA

View Full Version : ungluing and regluing bowl

gpsmith
14th March 2015, 05:44 PM
My sister in law has given me a karri NZ bowl and and base that was on display during the hot (40 C ) day and the base has slipped from the plate and re adhered about 2 cm off centre. I think it may have been glued with a hot melt glue - it is clear and does not look like the animal glue that I have seen before.
Q1. can I separate the two pieces with a hot air gun?
Q2. if that works should I just reglue it with a couple of locating pins in there? or
should I clean off the glue and use another PVA type like titebond?

Or is/are there any alternative suggestions?

Regards,

Rod Gilbert
14th March 2015, 06:39 PM
Hi gpsmith,
I would think that it is defiantly hot glue, a heat gun should be able to melt it to remove or you could put it in the microwave to heat it enough to remove it. I would suggest you remove it and clean up the contact area and re-glue with a good quality PVA. A photo could be useful to give a better answer.
Regards Rod.

joe greiner
15th March 2015, 08:45 AM
A heat gun might scorch it.

I've used hot-melt glue for temporary assembly. My usual process is to "bake" it in a regular oven at about 190F (about 90C) for about 1/2 hour to loosen the bond. Then scrape off as much of the glue as possible, with final cleaning with acetone.

Thirty-minute epoxy provides more working time than PVA.

Cheers,
Joe

gpsmith
15th March 2015, 12:15 PM
Thank you Joe and Rod,
I have used the microwave method - 2 minutes on High - it has worked a treat, came apart very easily.

I have scraped a little of the hot melt glue off - will do more clean up and then try adhering with Titebond or Gorilla.

Is it better to try and remove the glue when hot or cold?

Regards,

turnerted
15th March 2015, 04:29 PM
Smithy
I think its better to remove the glue when it's hot. I remove the bulk of it with a flat chisel and then clean with turps.
Ted

Mobyturns
15th March 2015, 08:09 PM
Hopefully A NZ turner may chip in. I'm not sure I would be putting NZ kauri into a microwave. At least it worked for you.