PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Spotted Gum & Grey Ironbark Logs

mwoof
14th March 2015, 08:02 PM
Looking for logs 600 mm and larger 2.5 to 5 metres. Will pay $50-$100 per ton.

Pls email Mike on [email protected]

goodwoody
14th March 2015, 10:23 PM
Is that standing or fallen and docked? Damien

mwoof
15th March 2015, 05:50 PM
Cheers

Sigidi
15th March 2015, 06:57 PM
Not sure about down there at Port, but up here you will be very lucky to find logs to fit your requirements at that price - good luck

dai sensei
15th March 2015, 09:23 PM
Welcome to the forums Mike.

Your request should have been in our Market Place, but I have left the thread running as the guys here can advise you as to the likelihood of getting supplies more than actually giving them

MAI
18th March 2015, 01:08 PM
That does seem a very low price/tonne for good sized logs of nice timber species. I was at a farm in Sth Gippsland the other day where the landowner is milling a load of cypress from senescent shelterbelts. As well as doing his own milling, he said he'd just sold some 6m cypress logs at about 30cm diameter for $100/each at farmgate to another miller down the road. Depending on the moisture content they might have come in at a bit under 500kg/log or ~$200/tonne. Cypress is a fine timber but ironbark in particular I would see as quite a bit more valuable.

Not sure what the other miller was doing with the cypress logs to make money at that price. The landowner was pleased at what he sold them for.

I'm growing both ironbark and maculata. Assuming I nurse the trees through disease, fire, drought, high winds, pests etc I'll definitely want more than $100/tonne at farmgate for logs of 60cm diameter.