PDA

View Full Version : Thicknesser and Jointers

skara
15th March 2015, 05:48 PM
Hi all,

Well looks like I fixed my table saw issues so instead of buying a new saw right now I'm going to put it off a little, I'm now on the prowl for a good second hand thicknesser and jointer (separate not combo) jointer I'm happy for 6in but the thicknesser I am looking at preferably a 15in so that I can pass ok sized laminated boards through and mill my own timber instead of doing what i currently am and buying finished timber... so expensive... Things I consider top of the pic are noise, kickback protection, nice finish (maybe three blades) decent rollers and a good high adjustment.

Noise is a bit of a concern as I want to keep on a relatively ok side with the neighbour that the shed is in close proximity with. Ive seen some ok ones on gummy but just not sure which are good or bad as I have had limited use with them.

Can anyone give me some tips on what to look out for, what to avoid and things to look at when visiting the seller to run a test on them before buying. Shed has single and 3 phase power so no issue there. currently have about 700 available tho could stretch it to 1100-1300 at a pinch.

Thanks

skara
16th March 2015, 02:00 PM
Hi again,

What are peoples opinion on the Carbatec CTJ150?

rod1949
16th March 2015, 03:30 PM
Hi again,

What are peoples opinion on the Carbatec CTJ150?

Well you're on the right track with a long bed but go for an 8" and hellical head cutters... you won't regret it. Same with the thicknesser go for the hellical cutter head

mark david
16th March 2015, 03:40 PM
Completely agree with you on this Rod.
Once you go with helical cutters there's no way you would go back to straight blades.
I bought my combination machine two years ago and l love it.

The big problem is I think there is very little chance of buying the 2 machines on that kind of budget.

Well you're on the right track with a long bed but go for an 8" and hellical head cutters... you won't regret it. Same with the thicknesser go for the hellical cutter head

skara
16th March 2015, 08:42 PM
Yes I agree a helical cutter would be great, the finish I've seen and the reduction in noise is amazing but want and reality are two different concepts at the moment. I might be able to get a 150 for 4-5 hundred only reason I'm looking and a 15in thicknesser for the same so thought for the price its not to bad, I'm no Sam Maloof and plan on upgrading once budget and space permit. Basically at this stage I just want to be able to get rough timber to a usable state to use as buying finished is just crazy expensive, even then its still only OK in quality.

mark david
16th March 2015, 11:43 PM
I just have a small workshop at home in a double garage,I started out with a benchtop jointer and thicknesser from Carba-tec, would say they were ok for hobby use but far to noisy as Iive on a small block on an estate so peeing off the neighbours was to be avoided.

I upgraded 2 years ago to Carba-tecs 10x8 helical head combination machine, cost me about $1700 brand new but price has risen a bit since.

You would be surprised how long a board you can joint on a short bed machine.
Would love the idea of a wider 15-20" spiral head thicknesser but this would be a very expensive proposition both in money and space and in all honesty wouldnt get the use out of it.

I have a drum sander so can finish panels upto 800 wide anyway so dont need the bigger thicknesser.

Suppose it all comes down to what you are making and what machinery you need to acheive it.

Yes I agree a helical cutter would be great, the finish I've seen and the reduction in noise is amazing but want and reality are two different concepts at the moment. I might be able to get a 150 for 4-5 hundred only reason I'm looking and a 15in thicknesser for the same so thought for the price its not to bad, I'm no Sam Maloof and plan on upgrading once budget and space permit. Basically at this stage I just want to be able to get rough timber to a usable state to use as buying finished is just crazy expensive, even then its still only OK in quality.

skara
31st March 2015, 09:02 PM
Well I'm now the owner of a 6 in planer I would have loved to have gone a larger unit but the budget just wouldn't allow it at the time, I am however still on the search for a thicknesser still of at least 15in or more. I have the Jointer (CTJ150) all cleaned up (lots of storage grease and gunk) and dial in. Did some test cuts with some long pieces of construction pine and thought ahh this isn't to bad or to loud. It wasn't until I jointed some Merbau that I got a true sense of it, OMG!!! but as mentioned I was working to a set budget so them's the breaks.

This is only my entry level so if I find I need to upgrade ill pop it back on gumtree and upgrade.

If anyone see's a thicknesser for sale in WA shoot me a message as I really cant move forward until I get my hands on one, router sled is just to slow. That and I want another noisy toy to annoy my pain in the neighbours dog.

Cheers

skara
18th April 2015, 02:26 AM
Well finally found a thicknesser just bought a Ronmac 20in 3 phase thicknesser, now just the task of getting it home. Anyone feel like blowing there back out with me? Can wait to get it home be nice to actually be able to complete a few projects I have sitting there. Doubt your a member Len but thanks mate you saved me a drive to Gero to get on there.

Seriously if anyone want to help lift it I'm open to offers.