PDA

View Full Version : Tool holder and 3 point steady

Oldgreybeard
20th March 2015, 01:17 PM

This project started off as a simple task of adapting an old 'copy lathe attachment' to help 'control' the involuntary twitches. Somehow it just grew:D (I beleive Carbatec sold these attachments when they were in Burney.)
Image 1 shows the initial concept. Originally the upright bar was in a horivontal position and allowed the cutting part of the tool (horizontal bar) to move along the length of the lathe bed. The cutting tool moved in and out as it followed a pattern to cut the copy.

As a copy tool it was at best 'rudimentary' but probably better described as a waste of money:~ However it has potential to help control the twitches. The horizontal tool bar has been adapted to hold a 12mm round carbide cutter and has a full range of movements:
360* around the vertical axis (upright), 250 mm backwards and forwards, and 360* rotation around the horizontal axis. As well there is a full range of movement associated with the banjo. At this point I have only used it for turning small bowls but it worked particularly well.

Spurred on by some success, I decided to utilize a 520mm ID 50 x 50 x 8 steel angle iron rolled ring which had been laying around in the corner of the shed for 5 years and make a 3 point steady. Another forum member uploaded photos of a similar project some time ago and I have used many of his ideas. Structurally the ring is definitely overkill, but I figured if you have it why not use it. Images 2 & 3 show the completed 3 point steady rest. It was finished yesterday and I wish to thank Simon (simonl) from Hastings for assisting with the milling of the slots in the three arms.

Next week the fun begins when I try hollowing some deeper forms. Without the steady the deepest I have done with the tool 'controller' is 100mm. Time to go to 200mm. Thought I would throw it in the back of the Cruiser next weel end and take it to the Tooradin BBQ if anyone wants to have a look. Images 4 & 5 show how the two components work together. (I hope)

Bob

simonl
20th March 2015, 05:11 PM
Nice work Bob!

You gotta love it when a plan comes together. Thanks for the visit BTW. Oh and one thing I never got to tell you…. My wife loves the bowl you gave us, a lovely work of art which she uses to keep her jewellery/watch in. Thankyou!

Cheers & all the best.

Simon

Paul39
21st March 2015, 12:04 PM
Oldgraybeard,

NICE steady!!! Overkill keeps turnings from caroming off the walls and ceiling and keeps our undies unsoiled.