PDA

View Full Version : Crack Filling.

Hootsmon
14th July 2005, 03:25 PM
Hi All,
I have a few small cracks to fill in my internal walls, near cornices etc and was wondering what best to use. Acrylic gap filler or flxible silicon or what? All comments gratefully received
GB

Gumby
14th July 2005, 03:51 PM
There's some stuff at bunnings which i use a lot. I think it's called One Time , or something (I'm not home at the moment but can check later). It's pre-mixed and very fine making it great for small gaps and hairline cracks. Great for this sort of thing. I always have some in the cupboard. If you don't get any other advice, I'll give you the name tonight.

Other than that, there's lots of premixed stuff at Bunnings. Go for a wander around, it's a good excuse. ;)

Redback
14th July 2005, 04:02 PM
I just use your basic polyfiller. Seems to work for me....

Hootsmon
14th July 2005, 06:15 PM
Thanks guys,

What about expansion and contraction though?

mic-d
14th July 2005, 06:17 PM
acrylic filler for gaps between eg cornice/wall/ceiling; arch's/walls; skirts/walls etc, sandable filler for gaps/cracks in walls. acrylic filler isn't sandable so the repair line may be visible.
I generally use a total joint compound or spakfiller heavyduty.
Cheers
Michael

Gumby
14th July 2005, 06:22 PM
Thanks guys,

What about expansion and contraction though?

I reckon if you use a solid filler which won't expand or contract, then the crack opens again. Flexible fillers stretch or will poke out if compressed. Either way, if it moves again, you have work to do.

ozwinner
14th July 2005, 06:35 PM
There's some stuff at bunnings which i use a lot. I think it's called One Time ,
Huh??
If its called One Time, how come you use it a lot??

Al :confused:

Gumby
14th July 2005, 06:48 PM
The only thing that attracted you to this thread is the title :D :D :D

ozwinner
14th July 2005, 07:16 PM
The only thing that attracted you to this thread is the title :D :D :D
So true.

Al :D

Hootsmon
14th July 2005, 11:55 PM
I've gone with polyfilla mirror finish. We'll see how it goes.

Trent The Thief
15th July 2005, 03:49 AM
Huh??
If its called One Time, how come you use it a lot??

Al :confused:
I guess he uses it one time there, one time somewhere else.... ;-)

Grunt
15th July 2005, 04:08 AM
Maybe Phil (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/member.php?u=5472) can help?

magnet 12
15th July 2005, 12:38 PM
Problem with the solid type polyfilla "mirror finishes" is that they look great for 6 months but then as house moves due to drought, heavy rains, whatever, they crack up again.
I find the acryllics/silicones last far longer,and have that inbuilt flexibility lessening risk of cracking or bulging. In fact some are ok after 5 years but I find it very difficult to achieve the same standard of finish with them as I can with the solid types.