PDA

View Full Version : Hello!

CycleBob
21st March 2015, 05:08 PM
Thanks for the forum. I've been lurking for a little while and have been very impressed with some of the amazing things members have built.

My interest is mainly furniture and toys. The first thing I built was an occasional table about 5 years ago when my wife and I got back from living overseas. At some point I refused to go to Ikea again and instead bought a circular saw, some MDF and paint. The table is definitely not high art, but has served us well and still sits against the back wall of our living room.

Since my first table I've made a few other bits and pieces: a couple coffee tables, some oversized outdoor vase thingys, a wooden outdoor bench, a play house for my little nephews, and many sets of "custom" shelves to accommodate our ever increasing storage needs.

Compared with some the excellent creations I've seen on the site the things I've made are not at all superb, but I seem to get a lot of satisfaction from making wooden objects. With the exception of the playhouse I designed everything myself on paper or less often in Google sketch up. Some things haven't worked fantastically, but the feeling that I've created something from scratch is really satisfying for me. It's a useful, creative hobby, much different from my day to day job that I could see myself being into for many years to come.

Most recently I made our recently arrived little daughter a toy doll's pram for when she gets a bit older. Our friends that also had little girls liked it, so I made 2 more as gifts. I took photos and video while building prams #2 & #3 so will post on the toy sub-forum when I get a chance.

Anyway, this seems to be a good community of friendly folks - thanks for having me.
Bob

mark david
21st March 2015, 05:32 PM
Welcome to the forum Bob:U

old1955
22nd March 2015, 01:43 PM
Welcome to the forum Bob.

george mavridis
22nd March 2015, 01:55 PM
welcome Bob

JJF
22nd March 2015, 06:39 PM
Welcome to the forum

crowie
23rd March 2015, 07:15 AM
G'Day & Welcome to a top forum "Bob".
There are a good number of members in Perth and surrounding areas.....
You'll find a heap of helpful & knowledgeable blokes & ladies on the forum and for most very willing to assist.
Make sure you show off your handiwork as everyone loves a photo, especially WIP [Work In Progress] photos with build notes.
Enjoy the forum.
Enjoy your woodwork....
Cheers crowie

PS - Please add a thread in the toymaking section on the prams you've made.....

Christos
26th March 2015, 05:50 PM
Welcome to the the forum.

It is a good place to chat and swap ideas as well as post photos. I love seeing what people make it just goes to show how diverse we can be.

CycleBob
27th March 2015, 07:17 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

I'll post some pictures of the dolls prams in the toy section this weekend and I do have a few WIP type photos and video too.

i agree Christos-I've very much enjoyed looking through the forum posts and seeing the diversity (and quality) of different things people have built. Amazing!