PDA

View Full Version : Beechworth - Victorian Town

Christos
21st March 2015, 10:00 PM
Today the wife and I travelled to Beechworth. Only spent a couple of hours there looking at a few of the local stores. We ended up at the local bakey oddly enought called The Beechworth Bakey. :U I thought the apple pie looked interesting and I wanted to know how sweet it was as the wife does not like things too sweet. So I asked about the level of sugar usage and was mention that it is not overly sweet.

This was exactly the case and I found that the combination of filling and pastry was well balanced.

I would not expect people to visit a place just to eat a traditional apple pie but if you are in the area well worth stopping.

I did a search on the Internet about The Beechworth Bakery and just found six more locations that this bakery is located.

ian
21st March 2015, 10:23 PM
Today the wife and I travelled to Beechworth.

I would not expect people to visit a place just to eat a traditional apple pie but if you are in the area well worth stopping.
what's the emotion for incredulity ?

of course you would visit a place to check out the delicacies at the town's bakery :D

there's rarely anything to see in the wood working or [affordable] tool line

Kuffy
21st March 2015, 10:39 PM
The beechworth bakery is a tourist attraction in itself. I havent been to the one in beechworth, but the one in echuca is awesome. They always have well decorated meringue. Last time i was there they had bumble bees and a green grub worm, looked so cool.

doug3030
22nd March 2015, 12:04 AM
I havent been to the one in beechworth, but the one in echuca is awesome.

Yep, amazing alright. I called into the Beechworth bakery at Echuca last year to buy a loaf of bread. They didn't have any! They don't even sell bread! They are a bakery fer....sake! They bake and toast their own bread to have with their breakfasts but you can't buy a loaf of bread from the bakery!

Yep, its amazing

Cheers

Doug

ian
22nd March 2015, 12:33 AM
Yep, amazing alright. I called into the Beechworth bakery at Echuca last year to buy a loaf of bread. They didn't have any! They don't even sell bread! They are a bakery fer....sake! They bake and toast their own bread to have with their breakfasts but you can't buy a loaf of bread from the bakery!

Yep, its amazing

Cheers

Dougmaybe you were too late in the day

I'm sure we've bought bread at the bakery in Beechworth -- would have been around 9:00 AM though :)

burraboy
22nd March 2015, 05:48 AM
Hudak's Bakery in Mildura is worth a visit if just for the orange fruit loaf!:2tsup:

Chesand
22nd March 2015, 09:23 AM
Haven't visited Beechworth for a few years but have been to their bakeries in Ballarat and Bendigo in recent times. The quality never varies.
The Beechworth Bakery franchise has been considered one of the most successful franchises and the originator (can't remember his name at the moment) was in demand for speeches about franchising.

Big Shed
22nd March 2015, 10:00 AM
Haven't visited Beechworth for a few years but have been to their bakeries in Ballarat and Bendigo in recent times. The quality never varies.
The Beechworth Bakery franchise has been considered one of the most successful franchises and the originator (can't remember his name at the moment) was in demand for speeches about franchising.

Tom O'Toole.

A very good communicator and excellent salesman, in the nicest possible way.

He has written a couple of good books about baking as well.

http://www.beechworthbakery.com.au/Pages/Bakeries.aspx

Pat
22nd March 2015, 11:06 AM
Tooradin Bakery is good too!

Mulgabill
22nd March 2015, 03:24 PM
Ian is right! you would be lucky to get a loaf of bread after noon, they sell very quickly and they ensure it is fresh daily. I have bought bread at the Beechworth Bakery (Beechworth) in the past.

doug3030
22nd March 2015, 09:44 PM
maybe you were too late in the day

I'm sure we've bought bread at the bakery in Beechworth -- would have been around 9:00 AM though :)

Actually we left Melbourne very early and had stopped there for breakfast, once we had eaten breakfast and heading out, probably before 9am I thought why not get a loaf of bread while we were there. They had all sorts of specialty fancy breads, but on inquiry, they said they do not sell just plain white bread, like we had been given toasted slices of with our bacon and eggs. They said they did not sell plain white bread, not even sourdough, flour loaf or anything that would pass for a loaf of plain white bread. Not sure if that was some kind of short term policy they were trying, but I have not been back since to find out.

Cheers

Doug

Christos
23rd March 2015, 08:08 AM
I will add that I also purchased bread from the bakery a half loaf of a high top. Not white bread a whole meal a think. :q :roll:

wheelinround
23rd March 2015, 05:07 PM
I will add that I also purchased bread from the bakery a half loaf of a high top. Not white bread a whole meal a think. :q :roll:

Only a 1/2 a whole meal did that leave you still hungry :q

Buns in the oven always best :U

Not enough!!
16th December 2017, 09:28 AM
Don''t mean to name drop but I am related to Tom O'toole and I remember one of our Aunties (bless her soul), saying I don't think he will do very well opening up a Bakery in Beechworth.

She was a little off the mark - just a tad.

He did it tough back then, especially before opening the bakery.