PDA

View Full Version : Basic segmented turning

chuck1
22nd March 2015, 01:06 PM
This perpetual trophy had run out of room.
it was brought to me on Thursday, I cut,glued and clamped Friday morning.
I take my hat off to those of you who do more detailed segmented turnings. Nearly threw my old drop saw in the bin.
so I turned it just now and has one coat of shellac
thanks for looking any C &C welcome.

chuck1
22nd March 2015, 01:10 PM
Forgot to mention timber is kalantis, 190mm diameter and 38mm thick.

smiife
22nd March 2015, 04:05 PM
This perpetual trophy had run out of room.
it was brought to me on Thursday, I cut,glued and clamped Friday morning.
I take my hat off to those of you who do more detailed segmented turnings. Nearly threw my old drop saw in the bin.
so I turned it just now and has one coat of shellac
thanks for looking any C &C welcome.

Hi charlie,
Looks good mate, well done
(could you not just make It out of one piece?)
or Is it special timber ?

Rod Gilbert
22nd March 2015, 06:35 PM
Hi Chuck,
Welcome to the frustrating world of segmented turning. (Nearly threw my old drop saw in the bin.)
I have never used a saw to create my angles for segmented turning always create a template from ply trace around and scribe ends and cut on the band saw and sand the ends to scribe lines it was the way I was taught as an apprentice pattern maker accurate drop saws weren't around then so I go with what I know. (I should try new things I know.)
Regards Rod.

artful bodger
22nd March 2015, 07:05 PM
Hi Chuck,
I have never used a saw to create my angles for segmented turning always create a template from ply trace around and scribe ends and cut on the band saw and sand the ends to scribe lines it was the way I was taught as an apprentice pattern maker accurate drop saws weren't around then so I go with what I know. (I should try new things I know.)
Regards Rod.

Same here Rod.
Although I did make a segmented bowl at school back in the 70's and used a hand mitre saw and the result was pretty good.
Stick to the old patternmaking method these days.

Nice job Chuck! Maybe you should have put another layer or 2 on if it's a perpetual trophy.

chuck1
22nd March 2015, 07:37 PM
Hi charlie,
Looks good mate, well done
(could you not just make It out of one piece?)
or Is it special timber ?

Thanks Smiffie, the original is segmented cedar so I thought I would try to keep within the boundaries.
Having said that not to many people will notice. It was the first thing I noticed

chuck1
22nd March 2015, 07:50 PM
Rod and artful, thanks for the tip, I never even thought of that.
I did think of doing another layer. Might talk to the customer about it.
he wasnt keen for me to do it on the last one. It was really damaged the base and I wanted to Remake the whole lot but he had an issue with putting all the plaque on to New base.

powderpost
25th March 2015, 11:30 AM
Hi Chuck, that looks good to me. A bandsaw is the hard way to do it. I have often make a wooden mitre mitre box to do small runs. Simple, with your skills to do, and cut the angles required to do the job.

Jim