PDA

View Full Version : Turnfest 2015

Mobyturns
24th March 2015, 09:07 AM
Some of my items on display at Turnfest 2015. The pens & Tops were donated to the raffle which this year was to raise funds for cancer (melanoma) research in honor of Bill Rudd.

1 st is a temporary display of spindle turnings as a Mashrabiya inspired feature panel. 2 nd my linear laminated goblet beside some of demonstrator Rudy Lopez's natural edge goblets, 3 rd the pens & linear laminated spin tops.

The red silky oak feature in the Mashrabiya inspired feature panel was turned from timber purchased from Flindersia.

issatree
24th March 2015, 09:55 AM
Hi Geoff,
Are there to be any more photos, from anyone.
Loved your Tops.

powderpost
24th March 2015, 02:44 PM
My contribution to the instant gallery.

Jim

chuck1
24th March 2015, 06:55 PM
Really like the Egyptian spindle turning. Is it on again next year?

Mobyturns
24th March 2015, 08:12 PM
Really like the Egyptian spindle turning. Is it on again next year?

Its been going 12 or 13 years now and Dave plans to run it for many more years.

Rod Gilbert
24th March 2015, 11:12 PM
Well done Mobyturns for you're generous donation of some very nice work to such a great cause and thank you for the post.

My contribution to the instant gallery.

Jim

Hi Jim.

I thought you would have done something tricky:U.
Absolutely stunning.
Regards Rod.

WOODbTURNER
25th March 2015, 08:53 AM
Some of my items on display at Turnfest 2015. The pens & Tops were donated to the raffle which this year was to raise funds for cancer (melanoma) research in honor of Bill Rudd.

1 st is a temporary display of spindle turnings as a Mashrabiya inspired feature panel. 2 nd my linear laminated goblet beside some of demonstrator Rudy Lopez's natural edge goblets, 3 rd the pens & linear laminated spin tops.

The red silky oak feature in the Mashrabiya inspired feature panel was turned from timber purchased from Flindersia.t

Geoff,
thanks for the great pen I won in the raffle. It's on the way to Darwin

Mobyturns
25th March 2015, 08:57 AM
t

Geoff,
thanks for the great pen I won in the raffle. It's on the way to Darwin

I'm happy some went to people I have met through the forums. :) ps it comes with a lifetime guarantee.

WOODbTURNER
27th March 2015, 02:59 PM
I'm happy some went to people I have met through the forums. :) ps it comes with a lifetime guarantee.

Geoff what finish did you use on the pen that I won?

turnerted
27th March 2015, 03:59 PM
Here is my item that I put in the gallery . I call it a Siamese vase . About 180mm high . Finish is DO and the timber is camphor laural .
Ted

Mobyturns
27th March 2015, 09:34 PM
Here is my item that I put in the gallery . I call it a Siamese vase . About 180mm high . Finish is DO and the timber is camphor laural .
Ted

Ted our pieces were side by side on the IG and we didn't meet. Very nice piece btw too.

Mobyturns
27th March 2015, 09:45 PM
Geoff what finish did you use on the pen that I won?

A few coats of Wattyl NC sealer then a couple of coats of 30% Wattyl Stylwood NC lacquer, my preferred finish these days. Also use a good quality shellac on some work.

Willy Nelson
28th March 2015, 09:20 AM
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen
Very generous donation of the urn / vase, looks superb
Can I request any more photos please or can someone do a write up please?
Cheers
Willy
Jarrahland

Uncle Al
28th March 2015, 08:33 PM
I managed to take a photo or three of the Instant Gallery, and was most taken with Turner Ted's double vase. For the life of me, I can't work out how he did it, but he did it well!

Alan...

Uncle Al
28th March 2015, 10:04 PM
Looks like I took a few more photos of the gallery items.
Attendees are encouraged to put an item or two into the instant gallery which is in the main foyer of Seaworld resort, adjacent to the reception desk. There were 315 attendees, (including non turning partners) at the 3 day event, which got underway on Friday after lunch, and concluding after lunch on Sunday after the drawing of the raffle (over 50 prizes!). Raffle prizes ranged from items donated by suppliers to SEQ Woodturning Supplies such as chucks, magazine subscriptions and tools, to items made by the demonstrators either during the weekend or some time earlier.
Have a look at http://www.woodworkingsuppliesqld.com.au/turnfest/presenters.php to see who the presenters were this year, and explore the site to get an idea how Turnfest works.
Some absolutely stunning items, ranging from beautifully turned standard type items to items that have been embellished with carving or other decorative processes. Either way, some lovely stuff on display.
Alan...

WOODbTURNER
28th March 2015, 11:11 PM
Here are some more from Turnfesthttp://www.woodworkforums.com/images/attach/jpg.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.com/images/attach/jpg.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.com/images/attach/jpg.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.com/images/attach/jpg.gif

wheelinround
29th March 2015, 02:24 PM
Thanks to all for photos some great pieces there.

One name caught my eye a man from USA Bill Ooms and his OT eggs thanks heaps for those in particular Alan :2tsup:

Maybe one year.