PDA

View Full Version : Well, it was about time.

issatree
24th March 2015, 07:37 PM
Hi to you all,
I seized the opportunity, today, to at last re grease the Bearings on my " Tough " Lathe.
A very easy job really, 3 counter sunk Metal Threads, which allows you to remove the Bearing Cover Plate.
Take a very pointy tool, to remove the Plastic Bearing Cover.
Remove all the old grease.
Well, there was a surprise, as the Cover says,
" Koyo " Japan, RL 58RS. Don't know what that means.
Can not fault these Bearings as I bought the New Tough, back in 1990, & when in use it travels at 3000revs 90% of the time.
Always thought they were Timken Bearings.
The Grease I use is Molykote BR 2Plus.
It wood be interesting to know what Bearings are in the other Tough's.
We had a Count Up on all Tough Lathes, & it turned out there were quite a few.

artful bodger
24th March 2015, 08:17 PM
The KOYO would be the brand name, the RL58RS would be the makers part number. If you were to go to a bearing supplier they would probably be able to match those bearings to other brands if the KOYO's are no longer available.
The 'Tough" lathes seem to be a really well made lathe. If I remember correctly(sometimes I don't) they were once made here in Tassie, Derwent Park to be precise. Maybe someone will confirm or disprove this?.
It's a pity that they have not got built in grease nipples to simplify the greasing.
Also, it's amazing how long bearings can actually last. I bought my woodfast new in 1979 and it's still got the original bearings in it and it get's lots of use. If it gets used all day for days on end I will grease it daily. There is quite a build up of old grease inside the headstock.

Rod Gilbert
24th March 2015, 10:56 PM
Hi issatree,
I will take one of the plates of mine tomorrow and have a look and let you know. Have you set up yours for variable speed I am interested to find out the best way to go about this with mine.
Regards Rod.

issatree
25th March 2015, 01:32 AM
Hi A/B, Rod,
Tough was originally made in Western Australia,
Bought mine from "The Woodsmith" in Ivanhoe, Vic. 1990.
In the end he had them made as Tough went out of business, as far as I know. Still sells S/H ones I hear.

I have a chap who wood like to sell his, but Spanner job, much earlier than mine. Wants $925 with accessories.

Rod I put my Lathe on V/S. Bought a Inverter ( it has a name, can't remember) from SEW Eurodrive, Tullamarine, Vic. $450 ? Next 1 up was $625, but with a proper read out, & wood take a bigger Motor.
1 mistake, bought a 1HP. 3Phase Motor, should have bought a 2HP. as this Box wood have taken it easily.
Only readout is the Hertz @ 50H. Easy, it either goes fast or slower.
Bought a $3 plastic container, bit of ply, screwed the lid to the wall. Cut a hole in the bottom, put a clear piece of Acrylic to see the readout of H.
Cut 3 hole in the top for cables, & some Dacron for the thing to breathe, & no dust, & 3 in the bottom, more Dacron.
You may need a Elecy to work out the wiring, & it took 1/2 Hr. to set the buttons right, by SEW.
Goes from 3000 to 0 in 3Secs. With just the straight motor it took a while to slow down. Now it is perfect.
Because of the 1HP. it is under powered, but as I only Turn small stuff it doesn't worry me.
Has never let me down ever in the 5 years I've had it.

Rod Gilbert
25th March 2015, 08:24 AM
I removed the inboard plate this morning and I can't find any markings on the face of the bearing at all very clean grease and bearing but no idea of the make the marking are usually on the outer edge of the bearing aren't they. Mine is one of the older models with the spanner lock I don't find it any problem at all as it is less than a quarter turn to lock and release. I have an old 3ph motor that came of my Tough chisel morticer not sure of the HP I will have to dig it out and see.
Regards Rod.

jcge
25th March 2015, 08:48 AM
[QUOTE=issatree;1852970]" Koyo " Japan, RL 58RS. Don't know what that means. .....edit......It wood be interesting to know what Bearings are in the other Tough's.QUOTE]

The bearing designation I would be

RLS 8 ("S" not "5") - it's an inch size bearing 1" ID x 2-1/4" OD x 5/8" L
and the suffix RS stands for rubbing seals

I have just taken down spindle on an old Hyco/Woodfast and it uses these bearings - two at the inboard and one at the outboard end.

Regards,
John

issatree
26th March 2015, 12:43 AM
Hi John,
Now that is interesting, as I haven't had to remove my Spindle, so I take it, mine has only the 2 bearings, but yours has 3.
I really give mine a pummelling now & then as I feed small pieces of wood up the MT2, instead using a Chuck, but the Bearings have stood the test of time. Still runs as sweet as pie.

jcge
26th March 2015, 09:12 AM
issatree

As I said, mine is a old Hyco/Woodfast (and not a Tough), so I can't really comment on the 2 vs 3 bearings.

Both appear to be copies of the american Walker Turner L752 design (on face value anyway).

Regards
John

MrFez
26th March 2015, 08:26 PM
Hi A/B, Rod,
Bought mine from "The Woodsmith" in Ivanhoe, Vic. 1990.
In the end he had them made as Tough went out of business, as far as I know. Still sells S/H ones I hear.
Has never let me down ever in the 5 years I've had it.

I bought my second hand refurbished Tough from the Woodsmith about 4 years ago. I guess he still has them as and when they come along. I was at one of his open days last year and he had 2 brand new ones still in their packing crates but was asking a hefty 2K + from memory, and I don't think they had a motor or a stand.

They are a good solid machine and I am very happy with mine.

Edit ~ Thanks for the bearing details good to know for the future.

sparkie54
28th March 2015, 11:06 AM
I see you talking about grease nipples. I would be wary if you are thinking of trying to add these as it is not good to have grease around your projects, finishes and grease don't mix. Remember the amount of grease you put in is the amount of grease that has to come out and has to have somewhere to go. The sealed bearings these days will last for years, be carefull when ordering as you can get bearings without seals, with one seal or with two seals. Just a thought.