PDA

View Full Version : electronic brake on saw.

joseph84
14th July 2005, 09:34 PM
Hi guys,
I currently have a makita sliding compound mitre saw (12" model). My question is, lately i have discovered that when i let go of the trigger, its taking something up to 3 seconds for the electronic brake to kick in and stop the rotation of the blade. Normally once you let go of the trigger it should kick in within a split second. This doesnt happen too often, and i have had the saw for about 4 years. Does this saw need some kind of servicing or is it normal for this to happen after certain use? Also if any one knows what the heck im on about has this happend before to your scms?

cheers

Joseph

echnidna
14th July 2005, 10:04 PM
My GMC don't have that problem :D :D

joseph84
14th July 2005, 10:19 PM
:rolleyes: i should have stuck with GMC all along

journeyman Mick
14th July 2005, 11:24 PM
Joseph.
I had the original 10" Makita SCMS (11 years of hard use) amd after about 5 years it started doing what you describe, but intermittently. Sometimes the brake cut straight in, othertimes there was a few seconds delay. Going on my experience with the saw, I wouldn't be overly concerned as it didn't seem to affect the longevity of the saw.

Mick

joseph84
14th July 2005, 11:35 PM
Thanks for that Mick, Im thinking of getting it serviced but as you said it shouldnt really effect the performance of the saw.

soundman
15th July 2005, 01:11 AM
The question is, it it an inductive brake with no mooving parts or friction devices like the metabo or is it an electroniclay operated friction brake.
Or perhaps there is a contact set for the inductive braking which may need cleaning or replacing.
Inductive motor braking is "very agressive" in an electrical sense & is hard on whatever switching device is used.
Cheers