PDA

View Full Version : Shellawax Questions

smidsy
14th July 2005, 10:14 PM
Hei Guys,
I've been using Shellawax Cream for a while now and I think it's wonderful - my latest project was a Marri bowl with some cross grain and it looks gorgeous.

When I use the cream though I end up with a hard crust on the cloth - does this mean I am using too much polish. Plus I'm mindful of this crust scratching the polished surface so I tend to move to a clean bit of cloth - is this the way to go or should I be trying to work the crust in to the wood.

Also, I use the bowl jaws on my Vicmarc chuck but they are only rated to 1000RPM. This isn't really enough to build up the heat that the shellawax needs, how to people overcome this?

Cheers
Paul

Wes Paas
14th July 2005, 11:33 PM
Yes, if you get a crust on your cloth, you could be using too much. The trick is, to use just enough to lightly and very quickly cover your peace with a thin layer of shellawax cream and start polishing very, VERY, quickly. As far as the speed with wich to use a Tecknatool bowl chuck, I use it sometimes at a speed of 3,000 revs. But you can only do this if you have a lot of experience and know exacly what you are doing. It is all a matter of feeling and nobody can tell you how.

RETIRED
15th July 2005, 12:07 AM
Paul.

Look here. http://www.ubeaut.com.au/cream.html

The crust is quite normal but if you are getting a lot then you may be using too much.

Wes, you don't have to remove it straight away but don't leave it for hours either. I agree about the jaws and also agree about the experience bit.

gatiep
15th July 2005, 12:16 AM
Paul

You will always get a hardening of the cloth as the burnished Shellawax that has penetrated the cloth 'sets' ( for want of a better word ). This shiny hard surface on the cloth should not scratch the finish except if you get some grit etc on the cloth. If you don't get that surface on the cloth it is obvious you either don't have enough shellawax on the bowl, the speed is too low or the pressure is not enough.

With the bowl jaws use a turned wooden point on your live centre to lightly press and support the bowl onto the chuck. It will mean that you cannot polish the total bowl but as it is only a small centre point it is not a problem. It is quite easy to polish later with a swansdown or other mop or a foam pad covered with some linen cloth on an electric drill. There are wool pads available with velcro backs that fit on the velcro surfaced round foam pads for use on your drill. They are expensive to buy but work very well and if you take care of them will last for many years.

Please remember if you feel the speed is excessive and it is dangerous, go with your senses and decrease the speed as it may just be dangerous. I have found that a well set up vacuum chuck works very well for bowl polishing. I personally prefer the vac chuck over the bowl jaws, but use both.