PDA

View Full Version : glue on steel frame

helga
14th July 2005, 10:26 PM
We have had the asbestos sheeting taken off our Logan home, inside and out. As part of the clean up there is a problem with pieces of fibro stuck to the frame with this hard, caramel coloured glue.does anyone have any clues about removing the glue from the steel frame? I'm not even sure if this glue is standard in Logan homes but it doesn't come off easily.thanks.p.s. stay away from asbestos

journeyman Mick
14th July 2005, 11:11 PM
Helga,
did some reno work on Logan homes some years ago, the glue is somewhat like maxbond. You can chop the bigger chunks off with an old chisel and remove the residue with a grinder (discs clog rather rapidly) or a wire buff in a grinder. (wire buff tends to shed bits and they can embed themselves in your skin even through a layer of clothing)

Mick

Pulse
15th July 2005, 10:17 AM
What about a heat gun or propane torch? I've used it to clean scrapers used with stud adhesive and it seems to work OK.

Cheers
Pulse

rod1949
15th July 2005, 03:23 PM
[QUOTE=journeyman Mick]Helga,
did some reno work on Logan homes some years ago, the glue is somewhat like maxbond. You can chop the bigger chunks off with an old chisel and remove the residue with a grinder (discs clog rather rapidly) or a wire buff in a grinder. (wire buff tends to shed bits and they can embed themselves in your skin even through a layer of clothing)

Ain't that the truth with the wire buffs. I keep checking me private bits.

helga
15th July 2005, 04:21 PM
persevering with the chisel, I think I'll avoid the wire buff as my kevlar body armour is at the laundromat.I also picked up some acetone to see if that works on the little bits left after the chisel. Thanks everybody, this is a long project!

scooter
15th July 2005, 08:53 PM
rod, stop checking or you'll go blind :eek:

What about one of those power carving doodads, same process as the chisel idea but may be quicker if a lot to do.

cheers.............Sean

doug1
15th July 2005, 10:47 PM
If the chisel works how about an air chisel if your carefull of dust and or work damped off with water?images/icons/icon5.gif