PDA

View Full Version : Cats AFL Quilt

cathiequilter
27th March 2015, 03:34 PM
Hi everyone,

My name is Cathie, I am into quilting - self taught over about 10 years. My husband Keith is into woodworking on the Toymaking Section.

I am making a Geelong Cats - AFL Quilt. I contacted the Geelong Football Club to ensure I was allowed to make a facsimile of their logo. They said it was OK - so long as it wasn't sold.

We print out a logo off the internet and then Keith hand draws it up to scale by making up a grid pattern. This is enlarged to the size I want. This then becomes my pattern.

I use wooden or cardboard letters as my wording templates - depending on size. I have cheated a bit by buying the whole alphabet letters from Bunnings on the smaller size.

I use sheets to save on cost, but they must be minimum 250 thread count and must be cotton.

I place vliesofix on the back of the material so you don't need pins. I machine sew - not hand sew.

Will continue posting as I progress

Bye Now

Cathie

Big Shed
27th March 2015, 04:36 PM
Hi Cathie and welcome to the forum.

I look forward to your contributions here, having 2 daughters that are very active quilters I am no stranger to that craft.http://d1r5wj36adg1sk.cloudfront.net/images/smilies/actions/2thumbsup.gif

Bronferr
27th March 2015, 07:04 PM
Hi Cathy
Great to hear about your quilting project. I belong to the Gold Coast Quilters Guild and from time to time members have made a football (rugby or AFL) quilt - mostly for male grandchildren! They are wonderful to see. Look forward to seeing your completed one.
It shall be fun to check into this forum from time to time.
Cheers
Bronnie

crowie
27th March 2015, 08:01 PM
Hi everyone,

My name is Cathie, I am into quilting - self taught over about 10 years. My husband Keith is into woodworking on the Toymaking Section.

I am making a Geelong Cats - AFL Quilt. I contacted the Geelong Football Club to ensure I was allowed to make a facsimile of their logo. They said it was OK - so long as it wasn't sold.

We print out a logo off the internet and then Keith hand draws it up to scale by making up a grid pattern. This is enlarged to the size I want. This then becomes my pattern.

I use wooden or cardboard letters as my wording templates - depending on size. I have cheated a bit by buying the whole alphabet letters from Bunnings on the smaller size.

I use sheets to save on cost, but they must be minimum 250 thread count and must be cotton.

I place vliesofix on the back of the material so you don't need pins. I machine sew - not hand sew.

Bye Now

Cathie

G'Day & welcome Cathie....
Apologies for not giving you a "like" :wink:;
couldn't like the Geelong cats when I'm a Sydney Swans supporter....:D
But I'll be looking forward to seeing the very talented quilters on the forum
and the woodworkers who have to make displace holders for them.....
Cheers, Peter

Treecycle
27th March 2015, 09:38 PM
Unlike Crowie, I'm happy to give you a like Cathie. You couldn't have started with a more appropriate theme
Come on next weekend and Go Cats:hooray:
Look forward to see this progress.

Repliconics
28th March 2015, 07:32 AM
Hey Cathie
Great to see the Quilting Forum up and running!. :2tsup:
I'm really looking forward to seeing more of your work!.

Cheers
Trev.

cathiequilter
30th March 2015, 05:13 PM
I have done more on the quilt today. Used the cardboard templates I made to use for the CATS and GEELONG wording.

Finished the Logo and then sewed onto the sheet that I mentioned previously.

Now ready to quilt.

Cathie

Bronferr
30th March 2015, 05:35 PM
I have done more on the quilt today. Used the cardboard templates I made to use for the CATS and GEELONG wording.

Finished the Logo and then sewed onto the sheet that I mentioned previously.

Now ready to quilt.

Cathie

That is coming along excellently Cathie; good work. It will be used as a throw for the lounge? or maybe taking to the footy!

Cheers
Bronnie

Repliconics
30th March 2015, 11:10 PM
That looks really great Cathie.
Fair to say it's Just the Cats Whiskers!. :U

Cheers
Trev.

cathiequilter
31st March 2015, 08:52 AM
That is coming along excellently Cathie; good work. It will be used as a throw for the lounge? or maybe taking to the footy!

Cheers
Bronnie

Hello Bronnie,

Thanks for your comments.

This is a gift for my newly born great nephew.

Bye for now

Cathie

cathiequilter
2nd April 2015, 03:54 PM
Hello,

My Cats Quilt is now pinned up - ready for quilting.

Cathie

cathiequilter
6th April 2015, 08:46 PM
Finished my CATS quilt today
It measures 154cm long by 106cm wide.
Machine quilted.
Added extra stripes for husband Keith's quilt so quite larger.

Pity CATS didn't perform on the field today

All the best

Cathie

Bronferr
6th April 2015, 08:52 PM
Fantastic Cathie! So you have made two - one for nephew and one for husband?

Cheers
Bronnie

cathiequilter
7th April 2015, 03:43 PM
And for 2 sons.

Contacted Geelong AFL Club - OK so long as you don't sell them.

Doing a Melbourne Storm Rugby League Quilt next - Contacted Melbourne Storm - again OK if you don't sell them. Husband Keith drawing up the logo.

All the Best

Cathie

jools13
23rd April 2015, 08:41 PM
Hi everyone,

Bye Now

Cathie

LOVE YOUR WORK !!!!! Love the Cats as well Brilliant Job Julie

cathiequilter
25th April 2015, 09:17 PM
LOVE YOUR WORK !!!!! Love the Cats as well Brilliant Job Julie

Thanks for your kind words

Husband Keith says "GO CATTERS"

Cathie