PDA

View Full Version : WA:Swap WA Timbers for Black Palm

Willy Nelson
28th March 2015, 09:28 AM
Good Morning Ladies and Gentlemen

Whilst perusing another thread, I noticed some Black Palm on offer. Whilst it is unlikely I will be able to grab some of that Black Palm, I remembered this forum.
So, does anyone have any Black Palm, suitable for pen blacks they are will to swap (for far superior WA Timbers or burls) or sell?
Cheers
Willy
Jarrahland

ogato
29th March 2015, 02:04 PM
"So, does anyone have any Black Palm, suitable for pen blacks they are will to swap (for far superior WA Timbers or burls) or sell?
Cheers
Willy"

Hi Willy

I cut a palm tree down last week - which I thought was a bangalow palm. It looked to have a band of dark vascular bundles around the outside so I hacked the palm a bit more to see if it might be suitable for your purposes. It look to be black palm wood, not a necessarily a Black Palm.

If it looks suitable let me know and I'll send some. Let me know the preferred dimensions.

Jeff

Facebook/ Jeff Fraser - Wood Turner

Willy Nelson
29th March 2015, 07:22 PM
Hello Mate
Not sure? If you don't mind, chop it up to blanks aprox 150mm long. Let them dry and we can save money on freight. Also, if it dries and is no good, we have lost anything.
Wotchafink?
Willy

ogato
29th March 2015, 10:00 PM
Willy,

Sounds like a plan - I'll let you know how I go, and when it's cut and dried.

Jeff

dai sensei
29th March 2015, 10:46 PM
Unfortunately there are a lot of palms that look like black palm, bangalow/foxtail/fishtail to name a few with many sellers not knowing what they have either, so we must trust those selling the stuff. There are also different Black Palms throughout the world, Borassus flabellifer and Normanbya normanbyi for example, then different trees of the same species can also vary :doh:

ogato
30th March 2015, 10:23 AM
turned this piece green to see how it might look . . .

seemed to come up OK; worth perservering with?

Jeff

ogato
3rd May 2015, 02:45 PM
4 palm blanks ready to go . . . . . .

Jeff

Willy Nelson
21st May 2015, 11:14 PM
They've arrived!!! Yaaaaaay, they look superb.

I hope to turn some in the next week or so, Thanks Jeff
I have replied in kind and sent some surprises to you, hope you like them
Cheers

Willy
Jarrahland