PDA

View Full Version : Pen Turning Newbie - After advice & feedback

Simsonicole
29th March 2015, 09:18 PM
Hi guys. Just started turning pens this year...after a bit of feedback and advice and new techniques to try...have included pics of my first few acrylic pens which I decided to try this weekend for a bit of fun as well as a couple of wooden ones...

Treecycle
29th March 2015, 09:26 PM
Did we forget something:photo2:

Treecycle
30th March 2015, 08:08 AM
Sorry but the links don't work:no:

Simsonicole
30th March 2015, 10:49 AM
Well that sux...I have put pictures in before and they didn't come up like that...will try again :no:

tdrumnut
30th March 2015, 12:10 PM
I'm getting pics, looking good so far dude.

Simsonicole
30th March 2015, 01:39 PM
After some tips and tricks on the turning itself...as it feels a bit awkward. Whats the recommended chisel for Acrylic? Did woodworking in High School but that was way more years ago than I am willing to confess..haha

Watched heaps of videos...but everyone seems to have a different view and not sure which ones are leading me on a merry chase.

Dalboy
30th March 2015, 06:45 PM
All the pens look good. The only one that I will coment on is the middle one the cap does not appear to be clipped in properly if it is then there is a piece in the cap that can be adjusted to bring the cap and body together all that is needed is a screwdriver.
As for turning acrylics all I ever use is a 3/4" roughing gauge and a 1/2" skew chisel you may need to sharpen a little more often.

Treecycle
30th March 2015, 08:01 PM
Now I can see them. :2tsup:
The acrylics look good with a nice fit and finish. I am not a fan of turning acrylic as it is slow going and blunts the chisels quickly. A piece of advice I was once given to finish off the blank was to lay a skew chisel on its side and keep it horizontal. It is then used like a scraper to smooth off and do a final blending of the shape. The skew must be very sharp to start with.
Which finish did you use on the wooden pens?

Simsonicole
12th April 2015, 05:48 PM
All the pens look good. The only one that I will coment on is the middle one the cap does not appear to be clipped in properly if it is then there is a piece in the cap that can be adjusted to bring the cap and body together all that is needed is a screwdriver.
As for turning acrylics all I ever use is a 3/4" roughing gauge and a 1/2" skew chisel you may need to sharpen a little more often.

Ok...so looked over the pen, inside and out, and cant find the 'screw' point you are talking about...but definitely see what you are talking about. Do you have photos of what you mean? Thanks :) :? :B

Dalboy
12th April 2015, 11:12 PM
If you look in the cap end you will see the plastic insert with a screw piece in the centre, the slot for the screw driver is in the plastic piece either side of the screw. You may need to modify a flat screwdriver to screw the plastic piece in. I have drawn a rough sketch of the screwdriver end. Hope this helps.

Treecycle
13th April 2015, 02:07 PM
What is the kit that was used for the pen that Dalboy is referring to? Not all kits have the nylon insert, so maybe this is one of them, hence the reason you can't see it.
Does the cap push on or screw on?
This link here shows the insert that Dalboy is referring to but I have never seen one in any kits I have used. http://www2.woodcraft.com/PDF/77B17.pdf

Dalboy
13th April 2015, 08:03 PM
Maybe this will explain better than I could above. The instructions are for a slightly different pen but the cap insert is the same style. They show a proper tool but the screw driver end I showed above should do the job

Willy Nelson
19th April 2015, 09:54 AM
After some tips and tricks on the turning itself...as it feels a bit awkward. Whats the recommended chisel for Acrylic? Did woodworking in High School but that was way more years ago than I am willing to confess..haha

Watched heaps of videos...but everyone seems to have a different view and not sure which ones are leading me on a merry chase.

Hello
I notice you are in Perth, can I suggest approaching a wood turning club in your area? I live in Port Kennedy, and am a member of Wandi Wood turners, or feel free to come down and have a chat
Cheers
Willy
Jarrahland

Simsonicole
25th April 2015, 12:55 PM
What is the kit that was used for the pen that Dalboy is referring to? Not all kits have the nylon insert, so maybe this is one of them, hence the reason you can't see it.Does the cap push on or screw on?This link here shows the insert that Dalboy is referring to but I have never seen one in any kits I have used. http://www2.woodcraft.com/PDF/77B17.pdfThe cap