PDA

View Full Version : Requirements for selling wood based food utensils

1984tpearson
30th March 2015, 12:44 PM
Hi there,

First post so please forgive me if I break any rules.

I've recently gotten into making some utensils out of salvaged wood and I want to sell them. Some of these products are intended for use with food IE chopping boards, wooden cheese knives etc.

To the best of my ability I am making sure the timber used has not been contaminated in any way but some of it can be pretty old (hardwood from buildings >60 years old etc) and obviously I have no way of knowing their complete history.

So long story short, what is required to sell these kinds of products in Australia? Is anyone able to point me in the direction of some standards that might cover this? I've looked online but can only seem to find info about either the food itself or preparation areas.

TIA.

mark david
30th March 2015, 01:40 PM
To be quite honest you should steer well clear of this :hellno:
You will just not have any idea what the timber may or may not be contaminated with, lead, arsenic, cyanide, who knows what could have leached into the timber.
Timber from old buildings could contain allsorts of nasties.

I may be over-reacting of course but in my opinion is not worth the risk.

1984tpearson
30th March 2015, 04:38 PM
Well that's no fun!
I get what you're saying. If a piece of timber has been kept within the walls of a house with little exposure to anything what are the chances it will have absorbed anything toxic?
In any case I was really hoping someone could point me in the direction of some sort of official guide??

mark david
30th March 2015, 05:46 PM
I suppose it could have been treated with an anti-termite compound.
You could try ringing your local department that deals with food safety and see if they know.

Well that's no fun!
I get what you're saying. If a piece of timber has been kept within the walls of a house with little exposure to anything what are the chances it will have absorbed anything toxic?
In any case I was really hoping someone could point me in the direction of some sort of official guide??

Pac man
30th March 2015, 06:07 PM
http://www.health.vic.gov.au/foodsafety/regulatory_info/legislation.htm

http://www.foodstandards.gov.au/about/background/foodlaw/pages/default.aspx

Good luck

Master Splinter
30th March 2015, 06:55 PM
Well, here's a start...

"Timber preservation in Australia commenced in the 1930`s using simple dip treatments of boron and arsenic to prevent insect attack in susceptible building timbers. Major expansion of the timber preservation industry occurred in the 1960`s with the introduction of pressure preservation plants and legislated standards for timber treatment. The 1980`s saw the emergence in usage of plantation softwoods and the introduction of more sophisticated treatment plant automation. In the 1990`s and beyond, emphasis has been placed on improved environmental management of new and existing treatment plants."

From - http://www.portlandpine.com.au/treatment.html