PDA

View Full Version : Whatsit Vice?????

DSEL74
30th March 2015, 04:49 PM
Anyone know what this is and can explain its use to me? Looks like some sort of Vee Block vise but I really have no idea.

matthew_g
30th March 2015, 05:28 PM
I'm going to take a punt and guess at it being some form of precision pipe/round stock vice.....
It's only a guess, let's hope we have a guru waiting in the wings...
Matt

mark david
30th March 2015, 05:51 PM
I presume it would be used for gripping round metal bar for cutting and machining.
The vee block is probably interchangeable for gripping polygonal sections, hexagonal, octagonal etc
Just guessing on that part though.

Also given the fact it has precission ground faces at 90 degrees, almost certainly for use on a milling machine.

SurfinNev
30th March 2015, 06:22 PM
V-Type vice.

http://tide-tools.en.made-in-china.com/product/FodJgPQOZKUG/China-V-Type-Machine-Vice-Vise.html

http://www.1st-product.com/products/759/Machine-Vice-412333.html

V block is reversable.

I searched for V block vice.

KBs PensNmore
30th March 2015, 06:36 PM
What ever it is, it's taking up valuable room in the shed, send it over here and I'll store it for you:D.
Will be rather handy for milling slots/flats on round bar, nice find.:2tsup:
Kryn

DSEL74
30th March 2015, 11:08 PM
I referred to it as a volunteeree block vice as it was a visa with a vee block in it. I never imagined that would be it's actually title. The interesting part is I don't think you can work on the portion of the round stock that is in the vice only the projected portion.

DSEL74
30th March 2015, 11:10 PM
Kryn, it's not in my shed to take up space so can't send it to you.

KBs PensNmore
30th March 2015, 11:32 PM
Kryn, it's not in my shed to take up space so can't send it to you.

OK, then you keep it where it is, as it won't fit my mill anyway. Curiosity got the better of me, is it yours or a friends who didn't know what it was? You are correct in that it would machine on the unsupported section, the way the jaws are set up, it would have similar grip as a 4 jaw chuck.
Kryn

DSEL74
31st March 2015, 08:24 AM
Someone else's who does know what it is, and neither did I specifically. Still can't envisage it being overly useful especially if already have an indexing head.

Aussie Bruce
31st March 2015, 03:07 PM
Strictly a production vise very handy in sticking different dia bars under the center of the spindle

Bruce