PDA

View Full Version : Penny Leaf Bowl

dai sensei
1st April 2015, 04:48 PM
Whilst at the BBQ I held at Tooradin (see http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=193277) I did some turning of a decent chunk of Penny Leaf (Dalbergia sissoo), also known as Indian Rosewood I got from MkyTurner (Troy) last time I was in Mackay. It was finally finished today and wow the photos just can't do justice to this timber. It is browns and yellows, but the yellows are translucent giving an amazing chatoyance to the grain. It also had holes and a huge bark inclusion that I filled with brass powder. The bowl is sanded to 600 before applying a nitrocellulose satin lacquer finish. About 500mmd dia x 150mm deep.

343631 343630 343627

343629 343628

There is a line that looks like a scratch on the bottom (top left) but is actually a small translucent yellow line cutting across the other grain. I've never seen anything like this, and did a fair bit of sanding before I realised it was in the wood :rolleyes:

Now a gift to Julie sitting on the dinning table looking so fine :cool:

Oldgreybeard
1st April 2015, 05:23 PM
Looks great Neil. I enjoyed the opportunity to see at least part of the project. Sorry we didn't get to see the finish product first hand, but the photos are great.

Thank you and for a great day.

Bob

elderly
1st April 2015, 05:54 PM
Magnificent piece of wood . Beautifully turned and finished.
Cheers Frank.

Willy Nelson
1st April 2015, 06:12 PM
Hey Neil
That looks superb, besides being a stunning piece of timber, you shape and form is excellent, Well Done!
Willy
Jarrahland

PS, I had to google chatoyance, but you may see it appear in my future posts

artme
1st April 2015, 06:42 PM
Amazing piece of timber Neil!!

You have done a great job on the turning!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

powderpost
1st April 2015, 07:54 PM
Aaaah, now that is nice. Nice shape, nice timber, what else is there? Ah yes, nice bottom :p, :2tsup: I can see it now,....... full of chocolate pieces???

Jim

smiife
1st April 2015, 08:59 PM
Hi neil,
WOW,,,,,, that is a beautiful piece of timber and you have done
it proud, form , shape , finish everthing looks great, well done
Just one thing.......it would look better on my table !:U:U:U

Bluegum
1st April 2015, 09:04 PM
Fantastic piece of work there Neil, looks amazing.

Mobyturns
1st April 2015, 09:40 PM
Neil nice bowl from a beautiful timber. Be careful this one can cause issues as its in the same family as the problematic "rosewoods". The grain feature you mention also appears in new guinea rosewood, almost like a secondary medullary system.

Chief Tiff
1st April 2015, 09:44 PM
Stunning work, thank you for sharing.

dai sensei
1st April 2015, 10:39 PM
Thanks for the comments guys but I can't take all the credit. Someone was watching every move I made and the design was his. It only takes a small detail to change the whole appearance, so as usual, I learnt a lot.

..Be careful this one can cause issues as its in the same family as the problematic "rosewoods"....

Yes mate I agree. I would normally have had full head gear protection, but my gear is packed away and being lazy, persisted with mask and shield in short bursts. I got a few headaches still at the end of the day so glad it is done.

Christos
2nd April 2015, 08:54 PM
That the sort of colour in the timber that I try to look for. In time I am sure some will come my way.

Loving the way this has turned out. :2tsup:

Kidbee
2nd April 2015, 09:40 PM
'Chatoyance', what a great word. I was fortunate enough to get some Indian Rosewood legs from a Vast store. Must do a small bowl, myself. Did you smell the fragrance of 'roses' as you turned it? When I have run it through the table saw it had a distinct aroma.

dai sensei
3rd April 2015, 10:33 AM
Did you smell the fragrance of 'roses' as you turned it? When I have run it through the table saw it had a distinct aroma.

No, this is a real rosewood not Aus Rosewood, so no real sweet smell at all that I noticed.

Tim Creeper
3rd April 2015, 09:55 PM
Really nice Neil. That's certainly a yummy bit of wood.

Tim Creeper
3rd April 2015, 10:04 PM
Really nice Neil. That's certainly a yummy bit of wood. Love it!

turnerted
4th April 2015, 04:31 PM
Beautiful looking bowl Neil.
Ted

mkypenturner
6th April 2015, 02:33 PM
hey guys
do you want to know the really funny thing about that piece , back when neil was at my place and i gifted him it he didnt want to take it a practilly had to throw it at him
and told take it no arguing !!!! and im very happy with what they acchieved with it