PDA

View Full Version : Saw Handle Workmanship.

planemaker
1st April 2015, 05:22 PM
For those interested in a close up view of the handles on Bad Axe Backsaws.

Stewie;

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?229454-New-Saws

Redbog
1st April 2015, 06:36 PM
Thanks for the heads-up on the Bad Axe saws Stewie. I had some serious health issues in the last 18 months, just after ordering 2 Bad Axe beauties. Also ordered Honey Mesquite handles, a 14" sash, ( hybrid set), and a 12" dovetail. They had to rest in the cupboard, (with dehumidifier jars) till now. I am now back in action, shed-wise, and have to say Bad Axe saws are the duck's nuts!

Mark makes them to order, handles to fit your hand width, sharp, pretty, and a fair price, for a near-custom back saw.

Personally, I would highly recommend.

Cheers, Redbog, (Harry )

planemaker
1st April 2015, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the heads-up on the Bad Axe saws Stewie. I had some serious health issues in the last 18 months, just after ordering 2 Bad Axe beauties. Also ordered Honey Mesquite handles, a 14" sash, ( hybrid set), and a 12" dovetail. They had to rest in the cupboard, (with dehumidifier jars) till now. I am now back in action, shed-wise, and have to say Bad Axe saws are the duck's nuts!

Mark makes them to order, handles to fit your hand width, sharp, pretty, and a fair price, for a near-custom back saw.

Personally, I would highly recommend.

Cheers, Redbog, (Harry )

Hi Harry. Can you elaborate more into the reasons why you had both saws stored away with humidifier jars. Did you decide that yourself , or was it recommended by Bad Axe.

Stewie;

Redbog
2nd April 2015, 03:06 PM
Hi Harry. Can you elaborate more into the reasons why you had both saws stored away with humidifier jars. Did you decide that yourself , or was it recommended by Bad Axe.

Stewie;

Hi Stewie,

No it was all my idea. When I got crook and knew I'd be out of action for months, I got a bit paranoid about valuable saws rusting in storage, ( my workshop is corrugated iron with timber lining boards, gets pretty cold in winter). Bad Axe despatch them wrapped in the rust retardent brown paper. When I knew I'd be inactive for a fair while, I sprayed the saw plates with long-life WD40, then wrapped them back up in the rust retardent paper, and put them in a glass fronted cupboard I bult in the shed. As some extra insurance, I got some of the tubs you can get from the supermarket for keeping bathrooms and the like dry. They have crystals inside, ( BobL would probably know what they are), and take moisture out of the air. Cost about 2 bucks each from memory. I did the same with the Veritas planes, and thankfully, not a spot of rust to be seen anywhere. It all worked pretty well. Happy to report I'm now back on the job, not 100%, but somewhere North of 90%!:D
Cheers Stewie, Harry

planemaker
2nd April 2015, 04:02 PM
Hi Harry. Makes good sense now.

regards Stewie;

issatree
2nd April 2015, 04:54 PM
Hi to you all,
I have been trying to put some of the Rust Retardant Flakes in with some of my Tools.
Now I'm told that Rice sprinkled in with the Tools works just as well.
With WD 40, I now use " Inox " seems to be a bit better than the others & around the same cost of $8 for a Spray Can.
Just my2senseworth.

planemaker
2nd April 2015, 07:27 PM
Thanks you for the inside info Issatree.