PDA

View Full Version : Siamese Vase

turnerted
2nd April 2015, 11:20 AM
G'day
Since I showed one of these at Turnfest ,I thought had better explain how it's made.
Years ago I saw a picture of a double headed vase in a book , but it was obvious that a hole had been bored in the body of the vase and another neck glued in and I wondered if there might be a better way to make it .
About 12 months ago I was out dog walking , where I seem to do most of my heavy thinking , when it came to me .
You need a bit of timber with reasonably straight and prominent grain , in this case camphor laurel, about 180mm long and 70mm square . With the edgegrain uppermost , I made a cut on the bandsaw down almost to where the necks meet the body . I then drove a chisel into the sawcut and split the block in two . I reasoned that the split joint would be less obvious than a saw cut when rejoined .I then mounted each half between centres and turned the the neck parts . I then cut a tennon on the bottom end so's I could mount in a chuck , then bored out the necks.I then glued the two halves back together . When the glue had set , I cut off the tennons on the table saw, then hotmelt glued a new tennon in the centre
and turned the body , then a bit of hand sanding to blend the necks into the body.
I then thought I could push this further . This time I mounted each half by their diagonaly opposite corners in an attempt to get the necks to splay out but it made very little difference.
Next attempt , after splitting into the two halves,I glued a bit of timber about 30mm thick , 70mm wide and about 80mm long on to the base end of each half wih the excess projecting beyond the split edge . I was then able to mount each piece diagonaly with the base mounting point well out in space . I was then able to turn the necks and cut a tennon on the scrap so's I could bore the necks out . I then cut off the tempory mountings and glued the two halves back together and finish as above .
One problem I experienced , was that the glue joint crept after a few days and I had to resand the body .
Some say I have too much time on my hands.
Ted

Christos
2nd April 2015, 09:05 PM
Thank you Ted for the explanation on how you made this.

Uncle Al
2nd April 2015, 09:19 PM
Ah! So that's how you did it. Had me intrigued from when I saw it at Turnfest. Thanks for the detailed post.

Happy turning,

Alan...

dai sensei
3rd April 2015, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the explanation Ted. I had assumed you had used off-set turning being super careful with the chisel at the joint then hand sanding

Tim Creeper
6th April 2015, 04:37 PM
Yep Good job. A bit of innovation. great stuff

Arron
6th April 2015, 04:45 PM
Great job and thanks for the explanation.
Why stop at two necks ?

Cheers
Arron

turnerted
6th April 2015, 05:18 PM
Arron
You're welcome to try.
Ted