PDA

View Full Version : MJ-2325B Table saw. :(

monoman
15th July 2005, 07:09 PM
Hi,

I recently took delivery of a Carbatec MJ-2325B 10" Tablesaw. I chose it over the TS10HB because it's 2HP motor would be friendlier on my fragile garage wiring (rented house and landlord won't spend a cent to fix it), and because it was considerably cheaper.

Saw arrived on Wednesday, had it setup later that day only to find that the cast iron tabletop was nowhere near flat. Around 1 mm out in places, and the cast iron extensions were even worse - you can feel the dips and ridges with your finger. Bugger!

Cabatec have offered to take it back as apparently, all of the other saws they checked were non-flat too. Very happy with the service from the new Melbourne store.

So I'm back in the market for a TS. I still have the problem with the garage power supply, and the dollar gap for the TS10HB (another $600 to changeover).

Not sure which way to go on this.

I don't have much money because I'm studying (MBA), and haven't worked since getting caught up in the Bali bombings back in 2001. I've slowing been getting myself, and my workshop back together after having sold most of my equipment because I moved to East Timor in 2000. Right now I'm felling a bit dissapointed as workshop progress has gone backwards again.

Just before I started writing this message, I listed my Festool router on the Festool forum, and now it's sold. Guess I can afford the TS10HB now. Advice regarding repowering the TS with a 2HP motor, or how to solve my garage problems mucho appreciated.

Cheers and thanks.

NeilR
15th July 2005, 09:56 PM
Sounds like a heavy duty extension cord from the house might be the answer if its close by.
Neil

dazzler
15th July 2005, 10:42 PM
Hey mono

Bom Dia

I have run my TSC10HB through a ten amp powerboard with a safety switch and ran fine...i dont think they draw that much....give it a go!

CIVPOL, DEFENCE or NGO?
cheers

dazzler

monoman
15th July 2005, 10:58 PM
CIVPOL, DEFENCE or NGO?

Hi Dazzler,

Oxfam (1999-2000), UN after that.

I'll think I'll go for the TS10HB, and deal with the power issues later. Although, I was told by a sparkie that I better have a good sniff around the house before going to bed.

Obrigado, e Bon Noite.

speedy
15th July 2005, 11:46 PM
go for it, I'm sure it will be fine. I'm still waiting for the electrician to come and upgrade my new shed, at the moment the whole shed's wiring system, 14 powerpoints, 3 of which are 15 amp plus 8 flouro lights are all connected to one 10 amp circuit in the old shed.:eek: I only use one machine at a time, but it is running a tsc-10hb, 15" thicknesser and a 17" bandsaw plus the dust extractor with no problems:cool:

MurrayD99
16th September 2005, 10:13 AM
There is a great review of the SIP version of this saw in an English Furniture magazine (August 2005).... but when I saw these comments, probably indicating a faulty batch, I started looking at the TSC 10 HB and think that is the way I'll go. But please, any update/feedback? Carba-Tec Auckland didn't know anything about a bad batch. MurrayD99

chrismo
16th September 2005, 10:38 PM
I purchased the Leda version of this saw (with the sliding table) at the Adelaide WW show. For an extra cost Leda will fit the same fence as the TSC 10HB has.

Although I haven't had much of a chance to use it yet I can say that the table is flat and the saw is accurate.

I paid a total of $1500, and that included the saw, sliding table, the upgraded fence, two blades, (the supplied blade and an 80T blade), a 1hp dust extractor, dust hose, delivery and set-up in my workshop. I think that was a pretty good deal.

This is my first table saw. I liked the TSC-10HB, (and I can see why it's so popular), but it was just a bit above my budget.

andyfly
16th September 2005, 10:45 PM
MurrayD99
I have one of these saws from Leda in Adelaide, I had the Biesmeyer style fence fitted and I can honestly say that I had no trouble with the table or the extension wings they are flat and true. The saw cut very true with only minor adjustments "straight out the box" and IMHO I think the blade gaurd and riving knife setup (where they move up with the blade) is a better option than an splitter at the back of the table. I know you are in NZ and Leda may not have a pressence over there but their service and advice was great and for what i wanted the saw to do it has easily passed my expectations. Just one thing, go for the upgraded fence it is a must, the fence that is standard is just not accurate. I know the TSC 10 HB is a great saw but I couldnt justify the extra cash and the deal I got at the Adelaide www show from Leda was pretty good.

Hope this helps

MurrayD99
22nd September 2005, 12:56 PM
Thanks guys.... AndyFly, I agree re the riving knife/splitter setup issue. I have an Elektra site saw with both riving knife and splitter and the whole lot has to come off if you are doing a dado. I just discovered the MJ won't take a dado set, and that is something I would like to be able to add. The forum has been a huge help getting me up to speed on experiences with assembly, pros and cons etc... I am not going to rush into this'all and I am very conscious of the price difference. A (Spring) sale would be nice!