PDA

View Full Version : Sacred kingfisher Tawny frog mouth owls

pjt
4th April 2015, 12:16 AM
Just happened to be pondering life the universe and everything when a bird flew past me and landed on a branch, that looks like something different, so grabbed the camera and managed to get a few shots before it flew off. I thought it might be one of the Kingfishers, after a bit of googleing I think it's a Sacred Kingfisher.

Another time I was near the Mulberry tree setting up to turn a compost pile and I heard this soft screeee kinda noise, look up and it's four Tawny frogmouth owls, actually there were five, I didn't see the fifth one till later. It's in the fork above the far right
It's not too unusual to one by itself day or night but five is a bit unusual, my guess is it's mum and dad and three young ones. They stayed there all day, seemed to be quite ok, I got a bit of a stare at times tho

Pete

robbygard
4th April 2015, 08:27 AM
tawny frogmouths are very interesting birds for a number of reasons ... (by the way they are not owls) ... one thing is the babies inherently know about sitting still and pretending to be branch but have to be taught which trees are appropriate in which to camouflage themselves .... as babies they will "perform" on anything (including a railing)

regards david

Cliff Rogers
4th April 2015, 09:50 AM
With weird seasons we have had lately I have noticed lots of trees flowering & fruiting in abundance & I have also noticed birds in our area that don't often visit.