PDA

View Full Version : Damn CA glue bottle tips

Poloris
4th April 2015, 11:53 PM
I have been having a lot of trouble keeping my CA glue bottle tips clear.
Each time they have blocked up, I drilled them out, and when my patience has run out I have snipped them off.
Now I have been left with ugly over-sized tips.
How do other turners deal with this problem?
Better still where can I get replacement tips?

Mark

Luke Maddux
5th April 2015, 12:44 AM
I use the same glue you have there in the photo. I have the same issues.

I've reached a point where the first time I open it, use it, and am ready to seal it, I take an appropriately sized finishing nail/brad and slide it into the tip. Leave about a cm sticking out the top, and then just loosely rest the cap on that. Then, when it's time to use it, I grab my pliers, pull it out, use the glue, and then use the pliers to slide it back in. I am having good results with this method.

Otherwise yeah... It's GOING to self-destruct after ten or so uses.

Interested in hearing what other people have to say.

Cheers,
Luke

Luke Maddux
5th April 2015, 12:48 AM
To clarify, when I say "appropriately sized", I'm referring to a nail that has a diameter which creates a loose plug/seal in the nozzle and extends down into the nozzle maybe half way, but is still long enough to stick out the top far enough to be grabbed with pliers. Also, you don't want to oversize the nail or it will split the nozzle.

I suppose if you wanted to get fancy you could turn a little knob, drill it, then glue the nail into it with the pointed end facing out. This would eliminate the need for pliers and would give you a reuseable cork/stopper for future glue bottles.

Mobyturns
5th April 2015, 07:35 AM
Each time they have blocked up, I drilled them out, and when my patience has run out I have snipped them off.

Mark

Most stockists of the glue will have replacement tips. I get mine from SE QLD Woodworking Supplies.

RoyG
5th April 2015, 09:14 AM
To clarify, when I say "appropriately sized", I'm referring to a nail that has a diameter which creates a loose plug/seal in the nozzle and extends down into the nozzle maybe half way, but is still long enough to stick out the top far enough to be grabbed with pliers. Also, you don't want to oversize the nail or it will split the nozzle.

I suppose if you wanted to get fancy you could turn a little knob, drill it, then glue the nail into it with the pointed end facing out. This would eliminate the need for pliers and would give you a reuseable cork/stopper for future glue bottles.

I got a box of Map Pins from Office Works. They look like sewing pins about 25mm long, but have bulbous plastic heads (about 3 mm dia) on the pins. A box of a hundred pins cost me under $3.00. I leave about 10mm of the pin out of the nozzle, so that there's no chance of the plastic pinhead getting glued in place. So far, touch wood, no butchered CA bottle nozzles for about six months.

Roy

issatree
5th April 2015, 12:32 PM
Hi All,
Well I don't have that problem, reason is, I use Loctite 401 & 406 CA Glue,
If the nozzle does go dry at the top I just use a Pr. of Needle Nose Pliers, slight twist, & I'm back in business.
I never recap the bottle, & it sits in a small bowl that lays it on a 30+- deg. angle, S,W, A, & Spring.
The Bottle goes right to the last drop.

dai sensei
5th April 2015, 03:24 PM
use Vaseline on the tip and in the cap

mkypenturner
6th April 2015, 02:25 PM

Mark
ok hers a bloody great tip i learnt as i complained to my supplier and he told me this !!
when finished using the bottle tap it on a bench or lathe what ever is handy then squeeze the bottle to make it force air out of the nozzle that way it stay clear

ok but the other thing i found out is as neil had mentioned smear a small amout of vasoline on the nozzle and around the base it will never ever stick together

Scot Roberge
6th April 2015, 03:12 PM
Over the years I've heard several recommendations to not cap you CA glue. I was hesitant to try not capping, but I found my tips stay cleaner now that I don't. Also, put your used (clogged) tips in a tightly lidded jar of acetone. When you need a tip, you'll find them to be clean and ready for service.

Ron Rutter
6th April 2015, 03:36 PM
The Gorilla Glue CA I use has a built in pin inside the cap. It is always clear!! Don't know why they don't all do it. Ron.

smiife
6th April 2015, 05:14 PM
ok hers a bloody great tip i learnt as i complained to my supplier and he told me this !!
when finished using the bottle tap it on a bench or lathe what ever is handy then squeeze the bottle to make it force air out of the nozzle that way it stay clear

ok but the other thing i found out is as neil had mentioned smear a small amout of vasoline on the nozzle and around the base it will never ever stick together

Hi mky,
Great Idea, why did I not think about that,
used some today and put some vaseline on the tip
and lid so we will see next time :;
Thanks for the tip:2tsup:

NeilS
9th April 2015, 11:12 AM
when finished using the bottle tap it on a bench or lathe what ever is handy then squeeze the bottle to make it force air out of the nozzle that way it stays clear

Certainly helps.

Willy Nelson
9th April 2015, 05:57 PM
Gents
I don't normally have this issue at all. The CA I get is from Timberbits, I may have to remove a small amount of glue every now and then, but never causes any probs.
Willy