PDA

View Full Version : Move to Tassie

OldGrain
5th April 2015, 01:14 PM
I`m seriously considering a move to west coast Tassie from Sydney.I already have acres in Qld but weighing up the pros & cons whilst it being ten minutes to town doesn`t provide me the comfort of having a decent hospital close by such like Queenstown does. (ex quad bypass). I`m still able bodied so walking/pushbike is no problem. I prefer the cooler climate anyway.Probably buy an older house not neccessarily on any acre/s & will definately cull my hoardings/collections as would rather move with less. So just wondering if any one else has done this move & how`d it work out for you?

jimfish
5th April 2015, 02:36 PM
I moved from Melb to the NW Coast near Burnie buying an old farmhouse on 4 acres. I love it down here and although slightly colder than Melb in winter I think it's the lack of really hot days in summer that I really like.Queenstown for me is a little too isolated but I do enjoy visiting the west coast. It will be a culture shock moving from a major city as one of the biggest adjustments was getting used to the fact that most retail and service businesses only work 9to5 hours and many don't open on a Saturday. I just can't imagine moving back to Melb though as the lifestyle here is fantastic. Good luck Jim

artful bodger
1st May 2015, 09:31 PM
Hi Oldgrain.
I moved to Tassie from Sydney in 1988 and just love it here. In fact I don't really enjoy going back to Sydney that much.
I presume you have been to Queenstown? If so are you sure they have a decent hospital there? I am only half an hour from Hobart and it's generally agreed that the Hobart Hospital is not really well....top notch.
The upside about Queenstown is that houses can be bought very cheaply, however there are reasons for that.
The west coast of Tassie is a really special place with heaps of stunning wilderness and lots of nice timber.
Areas near Burnie,Wynyard,Devonport, Ulverstone etc and the hills behind them are also pretty darn nice. Not to mention the NE area Scottsdale,Bridport,St Helens etc where the climate is somewhat milder than the West coast. I could go on and on here and talk about the whole state and not find much that I don't like about it. Probably the biggest thing is that you are on an island and to get off it you have to fly or put your car on the boat. Flying is relatively cheap these days but the boat isn't if you take a car.

snowyskiesau
1st May 2015, 09:41 PM
I moved from Sydney to Tassie's Huon Valley about 4 years ago. The nearest hospital is Hobart, about 60 kms away which I haven't need so far.
Love the climate after Sydney, no humidity to speak of. I can see the snow on the nearby Hartz Mountains but there have been very few sub zero temperatures at my place.

code4pay
1st May 2015, 09:43 PM
This site has good info http://www.movetotasmania.com.au

snowyskiesau
1st May 2015, 09:54 PM
Another site to look at is http://movingtotasmania.com.au/. Centered more on Hobart and the Huon.

yvan
2nd May 2015, 08:48 AM
Hmmm, looks like the secret is out !!!http://d1r5wj36adg1sk.cloudfront.net/images/smilies/standard/biggrin.gif

yvan

OldGrain
3rd May 2015, 11:29 PM
Thanks for the replies so far.Yes,i have bean reading the above mentioned sites & many others.Personally i don`t or shouldn`t have a problem re isolation. You make of a situation as best you can. I`m still able bodied enough to do work.Been in the auto detailing game for the last 30 odd years although i`m not intending on continuing it. I want/need to slow down some but will still remain active as i have enough things to do to occupy my mind. Weather wise i absolutely love the cold. Sydney temps are getting too much for me.Likewise Qld sadly as i bought acreage some years ago with the intention of retiring there. However the past three months or so looking at what Tassie offers me leads me to it being the place. Fortuneatly theres only me & the pooch to consider.Oh,and my collections. Need to do some culling i feel.

dai sensei
4th May 2015, 12:27 AM
Don't forget taking timber stashes into Tasy is a real problem.

OldGrain
4th May 2015, 04:13 PM
Gday dai Sensei. Reckon there`s plenty of twigs lying about that won`t neccessitate me bringing in any stashes. Got to familiarise myself with a lathe first though.

Evanism
4th May 2015, 05:21 PM
I only just talked to my wife about a move to Tassie this morning. Weve been twice for a holiday over the years..... Shes now mega crook and will never get better and we are looking for a nice place to see her out.

Just checked out the RE and I think we'll have another chat....

WaggaSteve
4th May 2015, 06:15 PM
I only just talked to my wife about a move to Tassie this morning. Weve been twice for a holiday over the years..... Shes now mega crook and will never get better and we are looking for a nice place to see her out.

Best of luck with whatever you decide

Ari2
4th May 2015, 06:25 PM

It is a bugger about your wife not being well. Tassie is a great place to live but I'm a bit blinkered, having lived here all my life. Good luck to both you and your wife wherever you end up. :)

OldGrain
4th May 2015, 06:40 PM

Gday Evanism. Sorry to hear of your wifes health. You would need to check closeness of hospital/doctor first & then what area takes your fancy.

OldGrain
4th May 2015, 06:54 PM
You know if a few of us WWF`s moved to Tassie we could take over the place & divvy out their timber!

Ari2
4th May 2015, 06:59 PM
You know if a few of us WWF`s moved to Tassie we could take over the place & divvy out their timber!
If you moved here it wouldn't be their timber, it would be yours:cool:

artful bodger
4th May 2015, 08:42 PM
Old Grain, the only reason I was worried about you moving to Queenstown was I thought you wanted to be near a hospital. If you are not worried about islolation nor being near a hospital it is an ideal spot. However it does rain a lot there and you never see it with the states maximum temperature on the weather when you watch the news. Downside (perhaps) is that it is a mining town and therefore subject to the boom and bust thing. From what I have seen and I usually go through there at least annually is that the town is actually rotting back into nature.If there has been a new house built there in the last 25 years I would be surprised. Grand old buildings in the main street look like they are just decaying.
Maybe the boom times will return as the international crisis of "Ground Lice" population (yep people) multiply and the demand for things increases.
The people who live there are tops and hard as nails, down to earth folk. Also the blackwood staircase in the Empire Hotel should almost be in one of the seven wonders of the world...in the woodturning stakes.

OldGrain
4th May 2015, 10:21 PM
Gday Artful Bodger. The information i`ve garnered from (family member doc) indicates Q/t hospital is better equipped than the one in Qld. Having said that though medical personnel will do their upmost in any situation. I`m just more content knowing a move to the west coast gives me a better option medically wise. I`m not one worried about rain or cold as i thrive on cooler climate. Old/er houses - just what i want as i love to be busy but can work at my own pace. Saw a miners cottage....cheap as....needs a lot of work......would`ve bought it in a heartbeat.....but funds are tied for about 3 months........might still be available then.Doesn`t matter if not as there`s plenty of others to choose from.So we see what happens.

artful bodger
5th May 2015, 12:16 AM
Gday Artful Bodger. The information i`ve garnered from (family member doc) indicates Q/t hospital is better equipped than the one in Qld. Having said that though medical personnel will do their upmost in any situation. I`m just more content knowing a move to the west coast gives me a better option medically wise. I`m not one worried about rain or cold as i thrive on cooler climate. Old/er houses - just what i want as i love to be busy but can work at my own pace. Saw a miners cottage....cheap as....needs a lot of work......would`ve bought it in a heartbeat.....but funds are tied for about 3 months........might still be available then.Doesn`t matter if not as there`s plenty of others to choose from.So we see what happens.
Wondering which hospital in QLD you are comparing with. But you are probably right medicos do their best with whatever confronts them.
Reckon you will have a ball down here if you decide to do it.
Cheers

WesP
5th May 2015, 12:55 AM
Old Grain, the only reason I was worried about you moving to Queenstown was I thought you wanted to be near a hospital. If you are not worried about islolation nor being near a hospital it is an ideal spot. However it does rain a lot there and you never see it with the states maximum temperature on the weather when you watch the news. Downside (perhaps) is that it is a mining town and therefore subject to the boom and bust thing. From what I have seen and I usually go through there at least annually is that the town is actually rotting back into nature.If there has been a new house built there in the last 25 years I would be surprised. Grand old buildings in the main street look like they are just decaying.
Maybe the boom times will return as the international crisis of "Ground Lice" population (yep people) multiply and the demand for things increases.
The people who live there are tops and hard as nails, down to earth folk. Also the blackwood staircase in the Empire Hotel should almost be in one of the seven wonders of the world...in the woodturning stakes.

As above. You've got to be tough as nails to survive Queenstown hospital, especially if you need to see them few times a year. Anyway, Tassie winter's coming that's perfect time to come and spend couple of weeks in Queenstown area. At least you'll give yourself a chance to fall in love even deeper with the place or... otherwise.

Cheers, Wes

yvan
5th May 2015, 08:03 AM

Yep, just follow Gunn Timbers footsteps...!!!http://d1r5wj36adg1sk.cloudfront.net/images/smilies/standard/biggrin.gifhttp://d1r5wj36adg1sk.cloudfront.net/images/smilies/standard/biggrin.gif

yvan

OldGrain
9th May 2015, 03:04 PM
As an aside to moving to the west coast, what am i likely to encounter moisture wise re all my tools? One could be forgiven for thinking i was already there given the past few days of constant rain.Although i coat hammer heads/clamps etc with a light wipe of oil i`ve just spent the morning recleaning/wiping them all down as a 'patina' was just starting to show.

snowyskiesau
9th May 2015, 03:50 PM
While the south east doesn't have the same rainfall as the west coast, just lately we've had our fair share of rain.
I live right on the water (http://port-huon.com.au/weather/webcam/weather.jpg) and I've only ever had a rust problem on some of the cheaper (Ozito) tools. Lathe, mill and tablesaw just get a spray of Inox if I'm not going to use them for a while.

OldGrain
9th May 2015, 05:26 PM
Expecting 2 & 4s to 14 this week! Well that`s just something i`ll get used to.Either another log or rugging up.I think though i should have enough on my plate in (a) renoing and owning my first house & (b) maybe another (*) or two to rent out albeit the rent going back into the rental/s.
(*) based on lower end market/lower income/rent.

Horsecroft88
18th June 2015, 04:03 PM
Like all who have commented on Tassie, as a born and bred Tassie guy, though my parents are not from here, I really like it here. I like the fact we have 4 seasons, Autumn is a great time of the year here, I love winter even more so than summer. My ex wanted us to move to Sydney and though she now has a property in northern mid NSW. For me, the heat, humidity, crowds etc were complete turnoffs. I am actually thinking that I would like to move to south island NZ (Queenstown), if I could afford it, for that way I could get to go skiing for at least 3 months a year.

Re the cost of living here its fine, especially the cost of housing, and food. The food, wine, beer, whisky etc are so good here. The stash of old houses also is huge here compared to pretty much anywhere else in Oz. Myself I live in Hobart in an 1850 brick cottage (which I have restored) and as well have an 1826 farmhouse on 2 acres in the country, which has been about 1/2 restored but will have to be sold soon as I need to pay the ex out. I am hoping I might be able to get something over $425K for it. It owes me a lot more.

I know about having a stash of old timber, I have a rather large collection of old timbers (joinery etc), which has been helpful in restoring my two properties.

While I read about your interest in moving to the west coast, for my money, it is just about the last place I would move to. The quality of houses there is terrible. Basically poorly built and even worse in terms of maintenance. If there was anywhere to move to on the west coast then I would suggest Strahan. Queenstown is a pretty aweful, virtually no shops, decent cafes or restaurants, little to do there, and truthfully as it is a mining town and mining on the west coast is on a down turn, its a dying town. I would think that the level of medical care at the hospital (is there one in Queenstown, thought it was in Rosebery) is any good. They find it hard to attract medical staff to the west coast.

The Royal actually is a good hospital, as are the 3 other hospitals in Hobart. With any serious medical issues there you will always end up at either the Royal or the Launceston General. All the best to you if you do manage to make the move down here.

OldGrain
20th June 2015, 12:48 PM
Hi Horsecroft. I actually like the idea of having four distinct seasons.Something i`ve seen disappear through my near 65 years. And likewise,heat,humidity,crowds & noise are getting worse every day.Noise mainly from traffic or twits hooning up/down the streets at all hours.Sure i was a kid once with hotted up cars but never carried on the way its done today.I still have the opportunity of relocating to Qld where i have land - 30 unspoiled bush acres which i`ll offload - but i`ve made my mind up - W C Tassie. I love the old houses & refurbishing won`t be a problem.Besides i`ll need to keep occupied. I`m lucky in one respect as there`s only me,the dog & my stuff. No ex.No kids. Lack of shops is no big deal either. Qt/Roseberry/Zeehan & Strahan all provide me with more than enough plus the added benefit of having first hand knowledgeable boat repairers around (as i know nothing about boats but would love to have a small cruiser or such like) when friends/family stay over.
You know i read some where online,maybe a blog or such like about a property being up for sale not unlike yours as such.Its a great pity you have to offload the farmhouse.Like you say it owes you a lot more & money don`t replace blood/sweat/love. Good luck though.

Horsecroft88
22nd June 2015, 04:25 PM
Hi Oldgrain, all the very best then to you and hopefully you will make the move down here. It has been very cold of late, but as another person who much prefers the cold to the hot and especially humid weather, for me it is lovely.

We have just had the Dark Mofo festival here in Hobart (which was excellent) and next off is the festival of voices, earlier this year we had the wooden boat festival which is superb for anyone who likes boats (who doesn't hey) and classic wooden boats at that. Tassie has a lot going for it, with a diversity of activities and lifestyles.

Fair enough then for it does seem as if the west coast is what you have you heart set on. Truthfully Strahan is the pick of places to be, and especially if you want to have a boat. Perhaps the only thing against it is the tourists in Summer. Zeehan is not really an old house town, nor Rosebery, so that leaves Strahan and Queenstown. The weather is kinder and the feel of the town is better in my mind at Strahan in comparison to Queenstown.

Its ok, I am feeling ok about selling my country property, and at least then I can concentrate on my old home rather than trying to restore two places. You sure are correct that money cannot bring happiness or necessarily good health, family and friends. I accept that it has cost me plenty in money let alone sweat. I have learnt a lot from restoring what I have there and at least I have satisfaction knowing it was done correctly. Someone else can benefit from this, and continue to completion the journey. Its good to save our past history for future generations. Kind of like restoring antiques, of which I have done quite a lot.

A few pics of the hallway during its restoration and a small chest of drawers I previously restored.

Cheers Dave

OldGrain
22nd June 2015, 07:49 PM
Gday Dave. You know if i didn`t know better i`d swear your pics are the ones i saw. If not,doesn`t matter but i am quite taken in by the finished workmanship.Old houses have so much heart. Beats the h*ll out of concrete & glass IMO.
I`m really hung on just how many things go on in Tassie & i look forward once settled to gad about to all the activities on offer. I`m hoping my first visit could be a month/six weeks away to check out general areas/layout & a home. Hardest part thereafter is actually having to downsize stuff i`ve collected over the last fifty years.Told myself i can`t take everything so...... Anyhows got two well known movers in mind so thats fine. Now its just a waiting game over the next few weeks. Cheers Gordo

Horsecroft88
23rd June 2015, 04:59 PM
G'day Gordo, mate, many thanks for the compliments. Yes I totally agree with what you say re old houses. I love them. My brother in law/younger sister and my elder brother also have old houses. There is something really warming, appealing to the senses with them. I love all the old wooden joinery, the colours, grain and texture. Hand stripping and French polishing is time consuming and hard work but the touch and the look is so nice. I would happily send you some more pics of my places, if you are interested and/or others to give you some ideas of what we have achieved with our homes. My email is: [email protected]

I think this is what is nice down here in Tassie. The choices available. I hope you can fulfill your dreams of an old house, with some stuff which suits it well and of course a boat. I know too well about having to let go of stuff.

I too am going through the exercise of having to let go (downsize) my antiques collection. I have too much for my home. And yes I too would love a boat (sailboat, 36 ft or so). And I have also 3 classic Italian cars. All projects, so again one of these is going to have to go.

I hope when you do get down here, that you make the time to check out the place. There is so much to see, both in all the small towns and villages across the North-West to North East, let alone around Launceston, down to Hobart, the East Coast etc. I am sure you will enjoy this.

I have included some more pics of the country house at Pawleena, near Sorell. Plus one of my '69 Alfa Romeo Giulia Super, and '69 Fiat 124 sport (not my car, but essentially the same as I have).

Cheers
Dave

Horsecroft88
23rd June 2015, 05:19 PM
Some photos of my home next. Basically I have been slowly restoring my home over the past 25 years with life intervening in between :). Two marriages, antiques, travel, work and other stuff.

The kitchen has now been completely re-restored, with new stove, paintwork and a skylight added. While the blue bedroom I completed last November. The yellow bedroom is the current project I am working on. As with all old houses, over time they move and the walls/ceiling plasterwork cracks. Hence I am re-restoring this. Then of course the outside needs more work. It is a part of the joy and frustrations in old house ownership. But I accept it. Hope you enjoy the pics. Dave

OldGrain
23rd June 2015, 06:31 PM
Gday Dave. You nailed the type of house that appeals to me. That & the quality finish is just superb. And the Alfas...always a classy look in go-fast red!. I have a bit of old furniture - jacobean lounge/1800s kitchen table/4 matching x 1900s foldaway chairs not exactly suited to the table but i think once stripped & varnished should blend in nicely.Will go dig up some pics & get back to you. gordo

Thanks & have added to address book.Have also sent you email.

artful bodger
23rd June 2015, 09:49 PM
I`m hoping my first visit could be a month/six weeks away to check out general areas/layout & a home. Hardest part thereafter is actually having to downsize stuff i`ve collected over the last fifty years. Cheers Gordo

Hello again Old Grain. Reckon it would be a cracking idea to do a short reconnaissance mission first! Somehow I reckon you have Queenstown New Zealand confused with Queenstown Tasmaniac.
It has been quite cold here of late. I have a bath full of water on the front lawn so that I can have a bath every birthday (whether I need it or not). In the last week there have been mornings when you can place bricks on the water and they wont sink due to the ice.
It makes it hard to bound into the workshop in the morning when your fingers freeze to the metal machines.
On the other hand there were lots of naked idiots swimming in the river in Hobart yesterday morning(dark mofo). Outside temp less than 1 degree. It's true!
As for downsizing stuff, It is good for the soul. Less is best.
Cant take it with you in the end anyway.

OldGrain
23rd June 2015, 10:37 PM
Gday ArtfulBodger. Ha,can imagine what your pooch must be thinking - how`d dad get that brick to float?.
I will tell you the first visit i will buy a house.It`ll be as quick as snapping my fingers.Done deal,as they say.I`ve probably trawled over a few hundred pics/locales/prices/types/live streaming & street views etc. Nope not NZ either.Had thought about it as my eldest cousin moved from UK to Kiatia 50 years ago.Nudging 80 when he passed 12 months back. As for coldness/isolated it just doesn`t faze me.You make of a situation as you see fit. If you`ve seen pics here of my garage & machinery/tools you`ll understand it will be a bit hard to downsize & i may as well say now that when i`m ready to move i`ll be having an "open weekend" where any one who cares to turn up can take (free) what i won`t. Theres heaps.Its already going to cost 25k to move with what i am taking. At the end of the day if i need anything i`ll buy when settled. cheers gordo

p/s: tasmaniac. Ha,love it already.

Ari2
24th June 2015, 09:56 AM
Hello again Old Grain. Reckon it would be a cracking idea to do a short reconnaissance mission first! Somehow I reckon you have Queenstown New Zealand confused with Queenstown Tasmaniac.
It has been quite cold here of late. I have a bath full of water on the front lawn so that I can have a bath every birthday (whether I need it or not). In the last week there have been mornings when you can place bricks on the water and they wont sink due to the ice.
It makes it hard to bound into the workshop in the morning when your fingers freeze to the metal machines.
On the other hand there were lots of naked idiots swimming in the river in Hobart yesterday morning(dark mofo). Outside temp less than 1 degree. It's true!
As for downsizing stuff, It is good for the soul. Less is best.
Cant take it with you in the end anyway.

They (Dark MOFO enthusiasts) got into the water to warm up.:)

wheelinround
24th June 2015, 12:18 PM
This came through this morning from Stanthorpe QLD

OldGrain
24th June 2015, 07:01 PM
Gday Ray. Tara where my acres are fared little better with 15d & Q`town bit cooler at 10d. Well that just means a few more logs to cut although the seemingly more appropriate way is a reverse cycle aircon. Or heat pump as they call it. gordo

wheelinround
25th June 2015, 02:26 PM
Gday Ray. Tara where my acres are fared little better with 15d & Q`town bit cooler at 10d. Well that just means a few more logs to cut although the seemingly more appropriate way is a reverse cycle aircon. Or heat pump as they call it. gordo

Not bad for just up the road have you moved there perm now?

OldGrain
25th June 2015, 10:59 PM
Gday Ray. Tassie is where i`m moving to. Tara Qld is where i have the 30 acres which i`ll offload & currently I`m still just down the road from you. Well a few blocks from you. 2 streets back from Hill Rd/ Lurnea shops & the tennis courts. gordo

OldGrain
29th August 2015, 02:32 PM
OK,so a bit of a hick- up re the Tassie thing being a family situation....our mum passed away back in January but i grew up having a second mum (mates mother) a few doors down where i spent more time than i did at home. Long story.... so anyway she`s not in real good health & i`m not prepared to move things along more just yet. I will however get down there & scout about but probably more like a couple of months or so & not the time frame i had envisaged about here. In the interim i`m wondering if any one has heard from Dave (Horsecroft88) ? Sent a couple of Emails (outside of here) but haven`t heard back either. gordo

Big Shed
29th August 2015, 02:35 PM
Sorry to hear about your Mum, my condolences.

Horsecroft88 was last on the forum 25/8, try sending him a PM perhaps?

Horsecroft88
31st August 2015, 12:36 PM
Hi guys

Yes sorry Gordo, I havn't as I mentioned been around on the forum much due to other things going on in my life. But more importantly, my condolences regarding the loss of your mum. It hurts when that happens, I went through this a few years back, and of course I have a lifetime of great memories but I miss her every day and will til I pass away myself. I am glad at least I still have my dad, and hope he is around for as long as possible.

Hope you get through everything ok and that when the time is right you can get on with the move to Tassie and the new life you are looking for. Take care. Cheers Dave

OldGrain
31st August 2015, 06:34 PM
Thanks Dave. Message sent. Cheers gordo

dazzler
31st August 2015, 07:36 PM
Sorry to hear about your mum.

I absolutely love tassie and lived there on and off for the past 13yrs. We found it very hard having family back on the nth island and very costly to go back to visit.

Something to consider. BTW, we left Tassie a year ago and Queenstown really appeared to be dying a slow death. My choice if West Coast is the go is Waratah or closer to Burnie though staying rural.

Miss the place.

OldGrain
31st August 2015, 09:52 PM
Gday Dazzler. Thanks. We all have to go sometime as its a part of life but going through this a second time in some six months wasn`t something any one in our families expected. Fortunately (if thats the right word) my second mum is in the same facility as was our mum so we know she is getting the very best care one can be given. gordo Oh, i`ll have a look at the places you mentioned.