PDA

View Full Version : sand paper

hughie
7th April 2015, 06:24 PM
Ok I'm looking for suggestions on how to store/keep bulk sandpaper in such away its readily available to cut pieces off it.

Who buys in bulk out there and how do you store or keep it? I have come up with a couple of ideas, but not happy with them. I have a small workshop so space goes for a premium, every has to be put away but remain handy, a bit of a challenge .

Any suggestions will be great fully received :2tsup:

FenceFurniture
7th April 2015, 06:45 PM
hughie I guess it depends on the shape, size and backing. I keep my bulk reserves in plastic boxes, and have a representation of each readily available. I've tried a few different ways, but for 150mm discs I have found keeping them in a heavy duty 20x20cm cliptop bag (not necessarily clipped shut though) and standing them up in the right sized cardboard box an excellent way to go. The front bag in the box has all the current "users" so I only have to grab that bag to get the full range out. Behind that is a bag for each grit with the new discs in them.

Velcro backing makes things a bit tricky. Those kinds of discs could be stored in 6" waterpipe (as long as it wasn't too tight) but the grit from one will catch the velcro of another, making it difficult to slide one out. In that instance like side with like side would probably be ok.

I don't use much square/rectangular sheet so I just keep rolls of Colour Coded Grit in the draw, with small pieces in small plastic tubs at the front of the drawer. I have some sheets in cliptop bags stored in another plastic container, but access to these isn't what I'd call quick.

Bulk storage boxes go into the steel cabinet, and also in a cupboard up in the house.

Kidbee
7th April 2015, 06:46 PM
Hughie, when you say bulk sandpaper is it in a 25m roll. If so, I may have a solution.

JDarvall
7th April 2015, 06:47 PM
how I do it.

in a big draw put bulk rolls of grits 80, 120, 180, 240, 320. When its in a draw its out of the way. Sits in there like toilet paper sits on the wall. Plane the top edge of the draw front sharpish. Just open the draw. grab the end of the roll you want. pull it over the draw edge and rip it off like you do with tearing normal paper.

to complement have a place to put sandpaper that you feel isn't any good for hand sanding anymore, but, still has plenty of use left if used on the lathe. ……chuck it into boxes large enough to make it easy to throw grits in……for me its 5 boxes for each grit, all sitting together near the lathe….gota have separate boxes because after its been used it can be hard to identify.

…then a bin near the lathe for its final destination.

Christos
7th April 2015, 06:53 PM
I came up with this thing,

to keep things tidy. You can read up on this in this thread (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=188924).

Just to update on this the full sheets and half sheets are stored in the box. The ones that I am using or will use I keep in a flat container with a lid to keep the dust off. When the grit gets worn out I get more from the storage box. The storage box sits on a shelf and is easy to get full sheet if needed.

FenceFurniture
7th April 2015, 07:03 PM
Oopsie, I hadn't seen that this was in Woodturning - I'll scuttle away now....:stooges:

powderpost
7th April 2015, 07:55 PM
Hughie, I buy 25m rolls and built a rack like 5 toilet rolls side by side. Minimum space and easy to get at.

Jim

Sawdust Maker
7th April 2015, 08:05 PM
full sheets I keep in ziplock - mainly the wet and dry stuff

rolls I have hanging from a convenient beam - this is the coarser grits - I cut lengths using an old pair of scissors

when I rip up sheets into about eighths I keep them in a similar setup to that shown by Chritos. I rip up the sheets whilst watching tele

The 1/8 size sheet I'm using or about to use I keep in a sandpaper tree at the lathe a la that shown by TTiT (whom I borrowed the idea from)

Luke Maddux
7th April 2015, 08:28 PM
I use something very similar to this:

Got it at OfficeWorks for like AU$15. I have the tabs organized by grits. Given that I'm not always at the lathe, this is great because it allows me to carry it to the workbench for furniture work or anywhere else in the shop. I don't have to walk here and there every time I want to tear off a piece.

If you're wanting this exclusively for turning and you have no expectation that you will use it anywhere else, however, I totally agree with the previous suggestion of buying it in cloth-backed rolls and keeping them on some kind of roller rack that's within arm's reach of the lathe. The stuff that comes on rolls is better for turning anyway, and is usually cheaper since it's sold by the meter.

Cheers,
Luke

Pat
7th April 2015, 08:54 PM
Hughie, another vote for a rod/dowel/broom stick for rolls to hung like toilet rolls. Pair of old dressmakers shears to cut the required length. Convenient to the lathe, easy to use and pretty well Pat proof.:;

hughie
7th April 2015, 09:43 PM
Wow there is some smart ideas here.
I should have mention its cloth backed velcro type and its in smallish rolls ie about 1200 wide 2-3m long maybe longer on some. This I use on powered and inertia sanding dia's 20mm up to 150mm.
I use the broom handle/toilet roll set up on smaller width rolls, no cloth backing, paper type and hang it off the mesh netting on the shed roof. That and darn near everything else I can :U

I like to leave the roll full size as I dont have any standard preference for sanding paper sizes, which I have discovered adds to the problem some.