PDA

View Full Version : Brendan Stemp Video 'Choosing a Lathe'

Kidbee
7th April 2015, 09:43 PM
I must be careful what I say in this thread as Brendan is a forum member and I do not wish to upset him or his friends.

I have viewed his videos with interest and he has helpful tips, and I follow him on Facebook. I intend to buy some resin from him, which he promotes.

That said, I have recently viewed his latest video "Choosing a lathe". There remains little doubt that he is a Vicmarc devotee.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HuWuZnQuXgA

Around the 18th minute he moves across to talk about Vicmarc's VL 300. He said he would hesitate buying a lathe of this size. He also refers to the difficulty of moving the banjo around with the tool rest and claims the tail stock is too heavy to lift on and off in the newer short bed models, that Vicmarc now only make.

Well it so happens I am a very proud owner of a VL300 ASM EVS short bed lathe, and find his comments a little disappointing.
After all, it is the 'flagship' model of Vicmarc's range and is used by professional turners worldwide and that includes the well known Richard Raffan. Photo attached.

Frankly, I have no problems in moving the banjo and tool rest around. Also if you have the cash to buy one of these lathes, you also purchase a 'tail stock swing away' to move the tail stock out of the way, so that the problem of taking the tail stock on and off, does not exist.

I also looked under my bed but could not find the large platters!!!!!!

The other thing that comes across in his videos is the very dirty and dusty workshop walls. In my view, not a good look for a guy that is trying to promote good woodturning practice. I wonder what BobL would have to say about the dust extraction system and lung health?

turnerted
8th April 2015, 05:23 PM
Kidbee
I have to agree with you on the banjo and tailstock . Although my lathe is a VL240 it probably has the same banjo and an only slightly smaller tailstock . When I was considering buying my lathe, I was worried about lifting the tailstock off and on and made enquiries about a swing away tailstock and Vicmarc offered to modify one from a VL300 . I decided to wait and see if it was a problem . Well it's not . Vicmarc have designed the tailstock so's it just slips back on with no fiddling of the locking leaver since it naturally falls in the right position , infact much easier than my old VL200 .I don't have any problem with the banjo either.
I don't think Brenden was seriously knocking the VL300 , just pointing out not to buy something bigger and more expensive than needed .
Ted

hughie
8th April 2015, 11:35 PM
Well I suppose we all have to remember its an opinion and as such it will be coloured by the writers background/experience/dislikes/likes and a whole host of other things. This doesn't lessen the opinion, its just something we should remember. Its like taking advice, you listen, but no one says you have to follow it. Probably the best thing is to look at all that is said and revue other comments by persons of similar credibility and way up all the comments and move on from there.

artme
9th April 2015, 08:54 AM
The club in Greenslopes has a VL 300 with a swing away tailstock and it is a great machine.

I am never likely to acquire a VL 300 but if I did I would certainly choose the swing away tailstock
as I have suffered a drop in strength since having NPH. I guess it's a case of horses for courses
and I think Brendan has done a great job with this and other videos.

Sturdee
9th April 2015, 10:28 AM
Well it so happens I am a very proud owner of a VL300 ASM EVS short bed lathe, and find his comments a little disappointing.................-

and

.....................The other thing that comes across in his videos is the very dirty and dusty workshop walls. In my view, not a good look for a guy that is trying to promote good woodturning practice. I wonder what BobL would have to say about the dust extraction system and lung health?

I presume you had the courtesy of informing Brendan direct of your comments about his workshop and the fact that you disagreed with part of his review about choosing a lathe before rushing in here for your 15 minutes of fame?

I would rather take the opinion of someone like Brendan as I know him to be an expert in turning as evidenced by his published works whereas I don't think I've seen any of yours to form the same opinion.

Peter.

Jim Carroll
9th April 2015, 01:18 PM
Peter this is the new age of published media, everyone can have their opinion and put it out there for everyone to see.

If the person involved likes or dislikes what is said they can take on board or dismiss as they please.

I presume you had the courtesy of informing Brendan direct of your comments about his workshop and the fact that you disagreed with part of his review about choosing a lathe before rushing in here for your 15 minutes of fame?

I would rather take the opinion of someone like Brendan as I know him to be an expert in turning as evidenced by his published works whereas I don't think I've seen any of yours to form the same opinion.

Peter.

Sturdee
9th April 2015, 04:04 PM
Peter this is the new age of published media, everyone can have their opinion and put it out there for everyone to see.

How very true Jim, but most of the time common courtesy goes out of the window in this new age of publishing.

What bugs me is not the OP's opinion but that he started a thread in here rather then add his comments in what I believe was the most appropriate place, being on the U tube video.

Maybe it's just me and I'm getting too old for this modern way of publishing but I felt common courtesy was missing in starting this post here rather then on U tube.

Peter.

Willy Nelson
9th April 2015, 05:53 PM
How very true Jim, but most of the time common courtesy goes out of the window in this new age of publishing.

What bugs me is not the OP's opinion but that he started a thread in here rather then add his comments in what I believe was the most appropriate place, being on the U tube video.

Maybe it's just me and I'm getting too old for this modern way of publishing but I felt common courtesy was missing in starting this post here rather then on U tube.

Peter.

Peter
I agree with Jim here. Further, I guess the courteous thing for you to do was send him a Private Message rather than publicly criticising his choice of media for critising someone, Pot Versus Kettle, maybe?:oo:
I shall now put some smily faces and other emoticons to lighten this conversation before it turns nasty and personal, :o although it looks as though it might have.:o:q
Cheers
Willy

Colin62
9th April 2015, 05:58 PM
I must be careful what I say in this thread as Brendan is a forum member and I do not wish to upset him or his friends.

I don't think that the presence or absence of Brendan (or his friends) should be the reason to take care what you say. If you can't say it to his face, then don't publish it in public, whether the person being discussed will read it or not.

If you're disagreeing with someone's opinion, or challenging something they've said, you should be able to back your point of view up with reasons and facts, and if you do, I don't see anyone here getting upset. They may not agree with you, and they may disagree strongly, but that is their right too.

On the specifics of the video, the purpose of it was to help beginners (typically on a fairly restrictive budget) choose a lathe. He owns all three of the lathes he used as examples, and he is a professional turner, and spends a lot of time in the workshop, and he gave his opinion on the VL300. Your experience and opinion differs, but that does not mean his is wrong or that his recommendation is invalid.

With reference to the condition of his workshop walls, I find the only way to keep my workshop pristine is to stay out of it.

Finally, I find myself agreeing with Brendan. Particularly for first time buyers, I wouldn't recommend a lathe the size (and cost) of the 300. The fact that you can afford the swing away, puts you in a different category to the intended audience of the video, who are typically starting a new hobby, and are usually on quite a tight budget. The very fact that Vicmarc even bothers making smaller lathes implies that they are aware that the VL300 isn't perfect for everyone. It's a professional machine, and overkill for many hobbyists (and even some professionals).

bookend
12th April 2015, 05:52 PM
Although I agree with almost everything Colin62 has stated, the "If you can't say it to his face, then don't publish it in public" comment is irrelevant when discussing public comments made by Brendan via the internet. Where an opinion is raised on the internet, the internet is the appropriate medium for discussion of it.

The fact that Kidbee chose our forum, where he knows Brendan is a member, shows that he is not making comments behind Brendan's back. I am not sure why he chose our forum rather than YouTube, but avoiding Brendan is not likely to be a reason. Certainly, Brendan has the opportunity and right of reply here.

Kidbee would, however, gain more credibility if he signed his name to his comments.

george mavridis
12th April 2015, 07:58 PM
Although I agree with almost everything Colin62 has stated, the "If you can't say it to his face, then don't publish it in public" comment is irrelevant when discussing public comments made by Brendan via the internet. Where an opinion is raised on the internet, the internet is the appropriate medium for discussion of it.

The fact that Kidbee chose our forum, where he knows Brendan is a member, shows that he is not making comments behind Brendan's back. I am not sure why he chose our forum rather than YouTube, but avoiding Brendan is not likely to be a reason. Certainly, Brendan has the opportunity and right of reply here.

Kidbee would, however, gain more credibility if he signed his name to his comments.

I don't see you name in the comments.

Mobyturns
12th April 2015, 10:10 PM
Kidbee raises some quite valid points about items he sees and is entitled to his opinion.

I'm sure Brendan will take this in his stride and move forward. Unfortunately when you put yourself out in the public arena and have the courage to use your real name as Brendan has you also make yourself the target for comment, good or bad. You are also held to a higher standard if you are vocal about safety etc. I applaud Brendan for sharing his knowledge and opinion, much of it is well worth listening to. As others have said it is up to the reader / viewer to form their own opinion re any advice given.

I would strongly advise viewers of YouTube clips on any subject related to wood working / turning advice, tips, techniques and safety to take in the whole scenario, the subject matter and the surroundings, and then form their own opinion about the merits of any advice given. Caveat lector.

Sturdee
12th April 2015, 10:42 PM
Certainly, Brendan has the opportunity and right of reply here.

Whilst that is certainly true BUT is Brendan even aware of this discussion?

A search of the members shows that he hasn't been on the forum for the last few weeks and in fact he has only been on a few times this year. Hence it would have been the gentleman's thing for the OP to either tell Brendan of his views prior to posting here or to post on his U tube channel.

Peter.

Colin62
13th April 2015, 06:12 PM

I think you misunderstood my point slightly :)

I wasn't suggesting that anyone meet face to face and have the discussion behind closed doors, I'm totally in favour of having the discussion in public - as we are.

What I meant was that if you're posting something online that you'd be embarrassed to say to someone face to face, then you should probably edit your post before hitting the submit button.

NeilS
13th April 2015, 09:21 PM
I have watched Brendan's video that, as he explains at the beginning, is first and foremost about "choosing a lathe for beginners", ie "for those that are just starting out".

I though it was an excellent video for that purpose. I can't think of anything of significance that I could add.

I trust Brendan's 'opinions' which I know are based on years of experience and thoughtful analysis. He is a great contributor to woodturning knowledge and many are the beneficiaries of his expertise through his videos and workshops.

On Brendan's comments about the larger Vicmarc, these seem very reasonable given that this video was primarily provided for "those that are just starting out". I thought Brendan's comments about the heavier components on the larger lathe useful for anyone considering that model/range to take into account in making their decision. Any experienced turners will already know enough to make their own informed decision whether they need that larger lathe.

As someone who turns a few larger bowls and platters, I agree with Brendan's comments about them. I would sell 50 small-to-medium sized bowls and platters/plates to every one in the 500-600mm size. I find that one large platter at the back of my pieces in a gallery display attracts attention to my work, but rarely it is purchased for the reasons that Brendan gives. If you feel the need to turn a few larger pieces for your ego and/or as a gift for your poor friends and family (unlike smaller pieces they can't be hidden away in a corner), or as an eye catcher in the gallery, and your mid-sized lathe is not up to it, join a local club that has a bigger lathe and use that until you get that out of your system or have enough large gallery pieces set aside to last out your turning days.

I have a similar sized lathe to the mid-sized lathe shown by Brendan and the only thing that I find it struggles with a bit is coring the very largest of blanks... I'm talking here about blanks that are large enough to be a struggle to lift onto the lathe. And, if done with care, it will do those. Otherwise there is rarely a task it can't handle.

On the dirt-dust comment, leaving a little sap, adhesive or finish overspray on lathes and walls is down to personal preference. I can see some splatter trails up Brendan's walls... :) Personally I'm uncomfortable in a workshop that looks like an operating theatre. Each to their own. You can see some wood chips on the workshop floor, but that isn't necessarily fine dust. Residual fine dust would be an issue.

Thanks Brendan for an excellent video on "choosing a lathe for beginners".

Dislaimer 1: I neither own a Vicmarc lathe (I have never owned one) nor do I sell them, but I have used most of the major makes of lathe available here in Australia, including the three models shown on Brendan's video.

Dislaimer 2: I've been using Woodfast lathes for 50 years and so am very familiar with them and as a result I can confidently recommend their relative merits and weaknesses. But, that doesn't make me biased against other makes... :)

bookend
14th April 2015, 02:15 AM
I don't see you name in the comments.

Thanks for pointing out I only put my first name. Graeme Stanton :doh:. I'm happy to stand behind my opinion.

So what is your opinion George?

george mavridis
14th April 2015, 09:37 AM
Thanks for pointing out I only put my first name. Graeme Stanton :doh:. I'm happy to stand behind my opinion.

So what is your opinion George?
I don't really have anything offer in the discussion.

Big Shed
14th April 2015, 10:50 AM
And on that note we may leave it, if Brendan cared to respond I guess he would have by now, if he wants to respond later he can ask for this thread to be opened again.