PDA

View Full Version : Showing your work

Jenny Brandis
16th July 2005, 09:00 PM
Hi there, the local show is on next weekend and I thought - hey, what the heck.
BUT.....
there is only 3 classes for woodwork
Class 1430 Constructed Hardwood Article<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Class 1431 Constructed Softwood Article<o:p></o:p>

Class 1432 Constructed Craftwood Article<o:p></o:p>

and is a turned lace bobbin "Constructed" ?

knucklehead
16th July 2005, 09:13 PM
Unless you can pick it from a tree or grow it in the veggie garden, its constructed.http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon12.gif

echnidna
16th July 2005, 10:34 PM
Yes, construct means "to make".

Jenny Brandis
17th July 2005, 12:10 AM
Good - I was thinking it meant the item had to be dovetails and nails sort of making.

gatiep
17th July 2005, 05:02 PM
Good - I was thinking it meant the item had to be dovetails and nails sort of making.

That is called a compounded article...............wood, nails and lots of filler!

:D

Jenny Brandis
17th July 2005, 10:46 PM
How would you display a bobbin? If it was put on a tabletop next to the other (much nicer and bigger) things I am sure it would roll away in cringing fear or be stepped on by the big boys.

With craft items (my only other show experience) the item is usually attached to a piece of card so that it can be displayed on a wall or table.

If the schedule says "article" It means one - not a pair?

That would be good for me as I am still such a novice that I don't do any two the same (that is deliberate of course ;) )

Should I "finish it off" with the beaded spangles? That is sort of like tarting it up so is that fair?

Jenny Brandis
17th July 2005, 10:50 PM
And last but not least -

honest answer needed here

which of the ones displayed at http://www.brandis.com.au/craft/lace/bobbins.html is/are the best.

I am going to enter a few in the hope that next year they will add a class just for novice woodturners :D I DO NOT expect to win any ribbons :)

bitingmidge
17th July 2005, 11:15 PM
Jenny,

Pick a selection of your favourites (say 6), decorate them to the hilt, and display them in use on a small pillow and a bit of lace.

That will show the judges their reason for being, and will throw them off the scent!

Go for it!!

P

Skew ChiDAMN!!
17th July 2005, 11:24 PM
Not fair... the judges'll get to handle them and we only get to look at pics! :D

Be honest, be critical and I'm sure you'll do fine. FWIW, my favourite is the far RH one, I like the colour, shape and the fine beading looks nice and crisp.

Jenny Brandis
18th July 2005, 12:13 AM
my favourite is the far RH one, I like the colour, shape and the fine beading looks nice and crisp.
That one is Indian Ebony and my personal favourite for feel as well. You are right, it is the feel of a bobbin that gets you going "Ahhh! Now this one is nice!"

kekemo
18th July 2005, 12:18 AM
Jenni, are you any relation to Max Brandis from Mucka....might know you....
regards the show, lucky you have a chance to enter one, now here for me to go into.
Make some nice stuff, but no shows for it.

TimberNut
18th July 2005, 01:03 PM
Jenny,

It depends on who's running the show and the limitations they place on entries (Sydney Royal Easter Show limits size, and number of individual separate components, per entry, for example) but generally they are fairly relaxed about it unless space is an issue.
If its a local show, I guess you guys have plenty of space up there!!!

I'm with Midge. If you display them with lace people get a better understanding of their purpose. And beaded spangels ?? Definately!

You'll often find a selection of similar articles entered as one item. So go with Midge's idea. If you make up the card identifying the item, list it as 'lace bobbin selection' or something like that. If you don't tell them pairs are required, no one will ask anyway!!

Good luck, I'm sure you'll get a positive response to your entry.

RufflyRustic
18th July 2005, 01:10 PM
Hi Jenny,

Holy Toledo!!!!! or maybe that should be Holy Bobbin-work!!!!!

Amazing lace work. The bobbins are beautiful. I like the ones that have hand shaping.

I wonder if we are going to tempt you away from the amazing lace work to amazing wood turning :D

cheers & Good Luck at the Show.

RufflyRustic

Hambone
18th July 2005, 05:04 PM
Hi Jenny,
The Perth Royal Show always used to require two pair of lace bobbins of the turners own design and they were to be fixed to a piece of blue cardboard .They were not to be spangled as they were only judging the actual bobbins .What they looked for were uniformity in the pairs , finish and praticality .
Good luck,
Ron

Jenny Brandis
23rd July 2005, 01:01 PM
see "Showing your work - results" dated 23 July 2005