PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

Brian45
14th April 2015, 08:41 AM
Hi,

My name is Brian and I live north side of Brisbane. I have been involved with timber for 30 + years as a chippie and registered builder. Having now retired from the hustle an bustle of the building industry I am looking at a or relaxed time.

Wanting to still work with timber I have ventured into the world of scrolling, not sure if this is relaxing or more frustrating, time will tell.

My first step was to purchase a scroll saw. I am now the owner of a General 21 which works very well it only needs the owner to be the master and not be mastered :).

Anyway looking forward to learning and making a few things. Now to find timber I can work with.

Thanks
Brian

Ari2
14th April 2015, 09:13 AM
Nice saw, welcome.

chambezio
14th April 2015, 10:02 AM
G'day Brian
I am a retired Carpenter. The trade has always been my hobby as well.(Not sure if that is a good thing or not). This Forum has been a great resource for information on all sorts of subjects. I have been able to give some advice to others as well. Don't be shy about wanting some hints/pointers, there will be someone who can help you out.
In May the Working With Would Show is on in Brissy. I liken the shows to be like a kid in a sweet shop. There is a lot to see and who knows you might just have to have new machinery for your retirement.

crowie
14th April 2015, 06:13 PM
G'Day & Welcome to a top forum "Brain".
There are a stack of members in Brisbane and across S.E. Queensland plus the rest of the country.....
You'll find a heap of helpful & knowledgeable blokes & ladies on the forum and for most very willing to assist.
Make sure you show off your handiwork as everyone loves a photo, especially WIP [Work In Progress] photos with build notes.
Enjoy the forum.
Enjoy your woodwork and scroll sawing pictures, art and of course toymaking.......
Cheers crowie

PS - On that new scrollsaw, check out the sub section as there are a few beaut scrollers on the forum.....

Christos
14th April 2015, 06:41 PM
Welcome to the forum.

JJF
15th April 2015, 06:35 AM
Welcome to a forum Brain

old1955
15th April 2015, 11:48 AM
Welcome to the forum Brian.

Perfect Pens
24th April 2015, 09:29 PM
G'Day Brian,

Welcome to the form mate from another chippy, enjoy your retirement mate.

Cheers
Tony

Brian45
2nd May 2015, 10:13 AM
Hi,

Thanks everyone for the welcome. Looking forward to the wood show in a coupe of weeks, not sure if wife or my wallet will be as pleased. I agree with an earlier comment be like a kid (big) in a sweet shop.

Having a look around the site if I have a question there is plenty of knowledge to be accessed.

Anyway I will drop in to the forum site when at the show.

Brian