PDA

View Full Version : JSP PowerCapIP or Trend Airshield

brit ekland
16th July 2005, 09:10 PM
Hi
I am looking to buy an air fed visor that runs on batteries. I would be grateful for any comments on which is the best to get? Are they any good? How noisy are they? what are the different models? I have been looking at JSP PowerCapIP and Trend Airshield but can't find any reviews.
If anyone has any experience of these I would be very grateful for any advice.

ozwinner
16th July 2005, 09:23 PM
G'Day Brit

I have the Trend and find it very good to use.
Not noisy at all, and delivers all the clean air I require.
I have a spare battery so I can keep going.
I made the spare battery myself, rather than spend a fortune on the "genuine" battery.
Batterys last about 10 hours on a full charge.

Spare parts are easy to get hold of.

Al :)

brit ekland
17th July 2005, 09:22 PM
Cheers Al

How heavy is the Trend? is it easy to wear for a few hours?

Don Nethercott
17th July 2005, 09:36 PM
Hi Brit,
I have a Trend - it does a good job but 2 problems
- with the motor at the front it puts a bit of strain on the neck and after a while the neck starts to ache.
- with the filter at the front it sucks in air loaded with dust and so the filters need to be replaced frequently, and they cost a bit.

I am thinking of getting a Triton - its motor hangs from the back of the trouser belt and so takes pressure off the neck
It also has the filter at the back so sucks in air with less dust, so filters last longer.
Also has top of head protection and ear protection
Meets the same ASA standards as the Triton.
Regards
Don

Gumby
17th July 2005, 11:36 PM
The Triton came out well in front in a review done recently here in one of our monthly woodworking mags. I have one and highly recommend it.

gatiep
18th July 2005, 12:07 AM
I have the Airlite which is the same as the Trend and I'm as happy as Al with mine. Takes an hour or so initially to get used to. I reverse blow my filters with compressed air to clean them from the accumalated dust on the surface long before it affects the airflo.

brit ekland
18th July 2005, 01:03 AM
Thanks Everyone

I didn't know about the Triton, it doesn't appear to be available in the uk. I just tried buying it from the US but they won't ship it to the uk as it apparently voids the warrenty. Seems like they are all pretty good anyway and make working much more comfortable than with the non air fed combination. But anyone with any experience of the PowerCap, I would love to know what you think of it. Will let you know what I get.

starr
18th July 2005, 02:11 PM
The 3M Dustmaster is very good - but it is quite pricey (in Australia at least). The noise is minimal and the unit is quite comfortable since the motor is worn around your waist. I think this means that the motor is more powerful than the units with the motor in the helmet, since I would not want to wear this motor and filter on my head.

ozwinner
18th July 2005, 06:32 PM
Cheers Al

How heavy is the Trend? is it easy to wear for a few hours?
I hardly notice it.
Ive worn mine for hours on end at a time.
Al :)

bsrlee
18th July 2005, 10:56 PM
Triton have a UK 'agency' who should be able to supply the airfilter/helmet/face shield/ear defender thingy - only problem is that it may not neatly fit into an EU category so it may not have been 'passed'. (http://www.triton.net.au/front.shtml)

You could probably get someone from Australia like Carbatec (http://www.carbatec.com.au/)
or Gowings Mitre10 (http://www.gowingsmitre10.com.au/) to ship it to you direct - you'd need to source your own plug pack with UK pins. It comes with 2 'washable' pre-filters & uses standard filters for respirator/face masks so they only cost a few $AU or local equivalent ;)