PDA

View Full Version : Fine tuning tooth set.

planemaker
15th April 2015, 09:12 PM
I use the same method as Mike Wentzloff, but instead of paper I apply a layer of painters masking tape to both inside surfaces of a smooth jawed Machinist Vise. The remaining set can be altered by using more than 1 layer of masking tape.

Stewie;

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/article/get-a-consistent-set-on-your-saw-with-paper

Simplicity
15th April 2015, 09:51 PM
Stewie ,
I saw(no pun intended lol) that video from Mike just the other day.
Now I must be missing something .
I just don't get how it works ?I'm sure it does work but ,I'm just missing something I'm sure.
So Stewie ,if you could try and explain it to a simpleton a little more that would be great.

Cheers Matt

planemaker
15th April 2015, 11:42 PM
Hi Matt. The sharp points of the saw teeth are able to bite into the paper packing as the vice jaws are tightly closed.

Stewie;

Simplicity
18th April 2015, 10:55 AM
Hi Stewie
Thanks for that I re watched the clip a few more times.
And then realised the teeth are set first then they are levelled if that's the right word with the paper and vice.
So yes now it makes sense.

Cheers Matt

planemaker
21st April 2015, 06:25 PM
Evening out the set on both sides of the saw plate can be addressed by using a number of different methods. But this alone will not give you a guarantee that every tooth point has a common height. And this leads us to why I firmly believe tooth set should be applied prior too final sharpening.

*The best way to insure that every tooth point has a common height is by lightly jointing the top of the teeth.*

#Shaping of the saw teeth has been completed (slight flat remains on every tooth point):next;

*Set every tooth with the pistol tool;
*Fine tune the set
*Dykem;
*Light jointing across the top of the teeth (stop when every tooth is touched);
*Dykem;
*Complete final sharpening of the saw teeth.*
*Test and evaluate the saws performance.