PDA

View Full Version : woodturning supplies near Bundaberg

maddave
16th April 2015, 08:27 AM
Hi Everyone. I have recently bought a cheap second hand lathe and was hoping someone can tell me where is a good supplier of wood turning blanks and wood for turning near Bundaberg. I have looked online but didn't have much luck finding anything near here. There is not much in town either. cheers Dave

Rod Gilbert
16th April 2015, 08:52 AM
Hi Dave,
I have no personal knowledge but just did a search for wood clubs in Bundaberg came up with this maybe they can help always pays to get together with fellow woodies.
Regards Rod.

Bill Brown, Bundaberg Woodworkers Guild Inc Phone 0488 541 770

turnerted
16th April 2015, 05:44 PM
Last time I was in Bundaburg ,there was a wood gallery and supplier of equipment next door to the brewery .He may be able to help.
Ted

smiife
16th April 2015, 09:11 PM
Hi dave,

Welcome to the forum, I am not familiar with your area
but you can usually pick up pieces from local tree loppers,
council clean ups after storms, the guys who trim under
power lines etc! Ebay has some but you will normally pay
for postage, maybe try to join a local woodturning club
or mens shed , hope some of this helps :U

hughie
24th April 2015, 10:44 PM
Hi Everyone. I have recently bought a cheap second hand lathe and was hoping someone can tell me where is a good supplier of wood turning blanks and wood for turning near Bundaberg. I have looked online but didn't have much luck finding anything near here. There is not much in town either. cheers Dave

Look up your local tree lopper or tree surgeon, should have more than you can handle

dougturner
24th April 2015, 10:57 PM

Dave, have a look at this web site http://www.photogloss.com.au They seem to carry lots of accessories, but not turning blanks, and are located at Goomboorian, outside Maryborough.
Address is
<tbody>
3004 Anderleigh Rd

Goomboorian

QLD

AUSTRALIA

</tbody>

<tbody>
http://www.photogloss.com.au/cms/templates/rhuk_solarflare_ii/images/emailButton.png
[email protected]

http://www.photogloss.com.au/cms/images/M_images/con_tel.png
(07) 5486 5361

</tbody>
I was there a few years ago, and they appear to be there still, and he may be able to give you some info as to where to buy blanks in the general Wide Bay area, so just give him a ring. Best of luck. Doug :U

Chief Tiff
24th April 2015, 11:14 PM
For turning tools and finishes try Taylors Hardware in Bundaberg. They are an independent local trader and Carbatec reseller; if they don't stock it they can order it. Going underwater during both flood events didn't dampen their spirits, they give great service and advice.

Additionally Schneider's Cooperage in East Bundy stock some craft stuff like lazy Susan bases, they may have some turning stuff there.

I have to ask though; why are you enquiring about the Bundy area if you live in Mackay?:?

maddave
29th April 2015, 01:42 PM
Thanks for all the replies, I will try find a local tree lopper to see what they can supply. I have just started turning so don't want to spend lots of money on blanks only to stuff them up if something goes wrong. @ Chief Tiff I have recently moved to bundy and haven't updated my details on the site, thanks for reminding me to do that :)

Paul39
4th May 2015, 04:08 AM
On this side of the pond Asian motorcycles are shipped in crates that have some beautiful timber, big enough for spindles. Check with motor cycle dealers. Also off road 4 wheel sport vehicles.

I have picked up head boards set out for the trash that had nice solid maple or mahogany posts on the corners.

Look in skips at construction sites, sometimes lots of 50mm thick off cuts.

A run behind the buildings at a shopping center on a Sunday morning can be fruitful. All manner of pallets at times.