PDA

View Full Version : The Royal Easter Show Submitted Items

Christos
16th April 2015, 03:35 PM
This year at the Sydney Royal Easter Show I submitted a couple of pieces into the wood turning competition.

There were two categories that I entered into, one for a solid turned item, and the second for a segmented turned item.

The rules states that I am only allowed to enter one piece for each category.

This one was entered into the segmented category and is made from a LVL board. I had been given an off cut from one of the members of the wood turning club that I am a member off and it was suggested that the board be cut at 100mm lengths then rotated 90 degrees for glue up. I also added another piece of some hardwood that I had laying around. There was an option to name the entry and I gave it a name of LVL Fruit Bowl.

The size is about 240mm wide by 80mm high.

344852 344853 344854

This next one was made from some camphor laurel that I was fortunate enough to get from one of the members of the forum, Arron.

This one is just a small piece about 180mm wide and 75mm high. The photos seem a little lighter then the actual piece. I have been reduced to taking photos from my mobile as my camera no longer works.

344855 344856 344857

I did not get any prizes as part of the competition. :U Truth is I was not really expecting anything, just wanted to do something for a bit of fun. The plan at this stage is to once again enter a couple of pieces for the 2016 Sydney Royal Easter Show.

As always all comments are welcome BAD and good.

chuck1
16th April 2015, 06:26 PM
Well done christos, it's all in the name of fun. I like the lvl bowl. Really nice effect!

turnerted
17th April 2015, 05:26 PM
Well done Christos for putting an entry in . It is disapointing that there are so few entrys . I put two in and my olive vase which I showed on the forum some time ago , got a first.
Ted

TermiMonster
17th April 2015, 05:53 PM
Good on you, Christos. (and well done Ted for a blue ribbon).
TM

Christos
17th April 2015, 06:31 PM
...... I put two in and my olive vase which I showed on the forum some time ago , got a first.....

Ahhh :gaah: now the penny finally drops. I saw the vase in the display and when I went to pick up my pieces I pointed it out to the other fellow that went to pickup his piece.

And yet I did not put two and two together that it was your piece.

But wait it gets worst.....on the day that we helped move your new lathe into the garage you brought out that very piece to show Sawdust Maker and I.

Well done on getting first place.

Mobyturns
18th April 2015, 08:52 AM
Excellent, good on you for having a go.

TTIT
21st April 2015, 01:32 PM
I haven't been on the forum for about 6 months and the improvement in your work is obvious after a break - well done :2tsup:

AlexS
21st April 2015, 06:32 PM
Well done, gents. I was there when the turning was being judged, and the quality seemed pretty good. It's a pity there were so few entries in some categories. In the furniture category, there was a very good chair, but it was the only entry in that category. Obviously, it won 1st prize, but I'm sure the maker would have had more satisfaction if there'd been more competition.

turnerted
28th April 2015, 05:41 PM
Just to give others an incentive , I just got my first place prize money cheque today $130 . Not bad.
Ted

Christos
29th April 2015, 06:32 PM
Well worth having a go.

Get to display your piece to the general public and may even win a prize.

powderpost
29th April 2015, 08:20 PM
Just to give others an incentive , I just got my first place prize money cheque today $130 . Not bad.
Ted
Congratulations Ted, well done. :2tsup:

Jim