PDA

View Full Version : Sliding Dovetails

Auld Bassoon
17th July 2005, 12:20 AM
Hi folks,

Following on from some dark-side indulgence from a certain other BB member (!), a piece I'm currently making has need for some sliding dovetails.

Previously, I've used my WoodRat machine quite successfully, but (the dark side beckons!) I now want to do these by hand. The pins are fine (Japanese Dozuki saw and Veritas guide & sliding bevel), but now I'm battling with the tails.

As I've used a 1:6 (I'm using a mix of Tas oak and crapiata), and I don't have a suitable router bit for the size I need http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon9.gif, so by hand is the order of the day)

What is the best method for cutting out the tails, especially when the the stile edge is in line with the rail edge, so only leaving a few mm from the pin?:

Use a longer piece of stock and later cut it to size, or just be very careful?

Cheers!

Grahame Collins
17th July 2005, 12:58 AM
Some dimensional information might be of assistance here Steve.What are your timber thicknesses and how deep is the depth of the sliding dovetail. This may help others to help you. Whats worked for me when space was tight was to use a hobbyist disposable razor saw.
I hope this helps
Grahame

Wood Borer
17th July 2005, 01:11 AM
Steve,

Why don't you use a through dovetail?

I'll be home Sunday if you want to drop in for a cuppa.

Give me a ring - you could bring the project with you.

Auld Bassoon
17th July 2005, 01:14 AM
Some dimensional information might be of assistance here Steve.What are your timber thicknesses and how deep is the depth of the sliding dovetail. This may help others to help you. Whats worked for me when space was tight was to use a hobbyist disposable razor saw.
I hope this helps
GrahameHi Grahame,

Stock is standard 19mm x 42 mm, with both rails & stiles facing out on the 19mm edges.

In the diagram I attempted to illustrate that issue that I'm facing, i.e that the amount of stock left on the rail seems to be insufficient to accommodate much pressure when trial fitting.

Perhaps the second illustration, attached might helphttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon11.gif

Cheers!

Kev Y.
17th July 2005, 10:35 AM
Just a quick question....How do you TURN a sliding dovetail?? Look where you have posted this thread :o