PDA

View Full Version : Plans for a babies cot

coedcae
17th July 2005, 06:46 AM
Anyone have any, or know of place to buy/download plans for a nice babies cot. I ordered a CD of plans from the US but now they tell me its gonna take 10wks to get here and I'm running out of time and getting into bother//// HELP PLEASE!!!
PETE

BigPop
17th July 2005, 10:23 AM
Pete,
If you do a search on this site for "Cot" or "Crib" you will find many postings on them - as well as maybe some on plans etc.
One of the sites you may try is Cot Plans (http://www.plansnow.com) and do a search thru there - that is where I got my plans from purchased online and downloaded straight to my computer.

kekemo
17th July 2005, 02:59 PM
:) Pete, I dont have plans as to see on paper but we have made a sturdy cot, that will last about 100 years.
I do not know how to put picture on this web page but you can contact me via emial, at

[email protected]

send me you emai address and I can forward you pictures of it.
The cot is standard large one, but instead of the cot side dropping down, we styled it on one side to have two swinging door, to allow our daughter to sit with our grandchild in the cot, it is really extremely beautiful and very heavy...made from pine with 35 x 70 YES solid as all hell...I remember what my son was like as a baby, this will hopefully last his family and his follow two generations to come......
If you want I can estimate the ammount of timber. Also, have you ever made a bed, as this really helps......in the construction.....bye ;)

Justtess
18th July 2005, 08:42 PM
If you have a good eye, you could take some measurements from one in a store. You can also download the Australian Safety standard for cots to make sure you cover all the safety issues. (If there is a way for a baby to get in trouble they usually find it). There are several sizes for mattresses also - so beware.

smidsy
20th July 2005, 08:11 PM
Hei Pete,
I just ordered Childrens Furniture Plans by Jeff Miller from Amazon to get the rocking dinosaur plan mentioned in another thread.
This book has plans for cots and cribs, costs about 46 NZ$ and takes about 12 days to arrive on medium cost/speed freight.
Cheers
Paul

Sprog
20th July 2005, 10:09 PM
From Amazon I always click on the Used and New link after searching for a title.
Used books are substantially cheaper. The description of the books is always accurate. Select a dealer with International Shipping to avoid delays.
Standard shipping is US$7 for books and they almost always arrive within 3-6 days.

rmeyre
31st August 2008, 05:31 PM
Try the library! (I know, in this day and age?!?) Just told my wife's cousin that we're pregnant, and he's now considering building us a cot. He is a builder, and really very good at woodwork, but doesn't like being pushed into doing work (we've got a few unfinished jobs that we tried forcing him to help us with) but when he gets into something he really turns up the goods, like when we casually mentioned that the coffee table I made was too small, he built us one and delivered it in the same day! Anyway, just spent hours searching the internet for plans, not found anything for free, one guy mentioned Amazon, had a look there and found a few, then thought of the library. 30 seconds later I've got 7 books on order. All old and out of print which is why they aren't on the net. No-one writes this sort of stuff any more. Sure one of them'll have something worth working from. Or a mix'll give him enough inspiration to come up with something unique.

The village library, it's amazing what they've got in there!

Rob :;

Sturdee
31st August 2008, 06:19 PM
Try the library! (I know, in this day and age?!?) Just told my wife's cousin that we're pregnant, and he's now considering building us a cot.
Rob :;

Rob, as you have some time before it's needed have a good look around during hard rubbish collection or the local tip. Usually you can pick an old one up from there.

This will not only give you dimensions etc for building a new one but also the necessary hardware for the drop down side. :D

Peter.