PDA

View Full Version : Timber Type for Jam Spoons

Bob Jager
16th February 2002, 10:41 PM
I've been asked to make some flat jam spoons, but have no idea what timber I should use. I guess I would want a readily available timber (I live in Tassie) is durable, won't impart flavours, won't result in loose furry fibres and is not poisonous.

Can any one pls help?

Iain
17th February 2002, 08:54 AM
I've seen all sorts of 'food' thingies at Salamanca market made from Huon Pine, this would suggest that it is a suitable timber.

Bob Jager
17th February 2002, 03:05 PM
Thanks for your suggestion. My son made one from huon pine many years ago and I found from licking the spoon (naughty, naughty) that it could leave an unpleasant taste - the natural oils I guess. But its worth another try. Celery Top or King Billy could also be an option.

Gino
17th February 2002, 07:48 PM
For what it's worth, while I have never specifically made a jam spoon; I have made wooden spoons for friends to stir there hot things when they are cooking. I too used what was available and Free, one type was just plain pine which got furry and Tassie oak which survives quite well.

regards

gino

JackoH
18th February 2002, 09:34 AM
English Ash is good. Almost any close grained white wood is usually O.K.
Regards John H.

ubeaut
18th February 2002, 11:09 AM
G'day Bob - We have some Jelutong spoons which I made about 15 years ago, It is real easy to carve and lasts etremely well. Ours are used very regularly and are still going strong after all this time. They have no taste, nor odour.

To finish a spoon and stop it from furing like Gino's, try this.
Sand to 1200 grit, wet down with hot water and when dry sand again with the 1200 grit and a bit of vegetable oil. Wipe off any excess oil then leave it sit for a few days, then wash in warm soapy water to remove oil flavour. It is then ready for use. Do not re-oil just wash it up like any other utensil. This finioshing process goes for pine and most other timbers.

As John H says English Ash is also good, as ar many other close grained white woods. But be wary of most coloured woods, they can leach colour into foor and in some instances have a chemical reaction with some foods because of tannin content of the timber. Also avoid some of the harder timbers as theu are inclined to splinter and lose bits into the food. Stick with white softwoods for preference. At the moment I have a couple made out of bamboo and they are great of use in Asian cooking.

Ian what they're passing off as Huon Pine is probably King Billy or Celery Top. It is sometims hard to tell the difference. I wouldn't think Huon was sutable unless it is purely for decoration. You will find the tast of huon hould permeate food, especially if the spoon is used as a stirer in simmering food, as the heat would bring out the natural oils. http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/eek.gif

Hope this helps.

Cheers - Neil http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

JackoH
19th February 2002, 10:39 AM
I forgot to mention, I turned/sanded several spatulas from ordinary pine (radiata), dry of course. Burnished them with Vege oil. Been in use in the kitchen for a few years now.
Regards John H.
(See Richard Raffans "Turning Projects" for patterns of thse and ladles and spoons, etc. etc.)