PDA

View Full Version : Wood stabilisation

wood spirit
24th April 2015, 05:21 AM
Wondering if anybody has tried utilising the stuff that is used for green timber stabilisation (sorry can't remember what it's called -but if you used it you would know-has been used since the 60s for soaking in particular VERY large logs for turning-Talking about 3' dia.) -wondering if this also works at minimising movement on seasoned timbers? It appears to be a wax like substance that replaces the water in the green wood. Don't know if this will help with seasoned wood or not - want to do things with wood against it's natural movement. Would rather a technical explanation from someone who understood the vague question and actually can tell if this stuff will work on seasoned wood or not. Have been thinking about minor cross axial layers of substantial size -about 15 degrees or so but up to 50mm per layer. Right glue will help- thinking polyurethane. (open to suggestions on this ) Thinking of large fluid mass (Wendell Castle etc.) Any advice from those that have gone this way absolutely welcome. (Have been wary of wood movement from seeing the disasters of those that don't appear to be aware of it. -IE indonesia as a whole.(yes have been asked to fix some of that cheap crap that comes in- basicly needs complete redesign.)

Toymaker Len
24th April 2015, 10:12 AM
Could it be Poly ethyl glycol (PEG) that you mean? I looked into it years ago but several problems appeared. It could only be bought in large drums so no small quantity to experiment with and it leaves the wood with a waxy feel which ruined it for me. From memory I think it was only applicable to wet wood. But things might have moved on since then and there could be better formulations now.

Master Splinter
24th April 2015, 09:54 PM
Other things to think about... The stuff the pen turners use for wood stabilisation - Cactus Juice (http://www.turntex.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=121)

Epoxy encapsulation? (can be done with the aid of a vacuum too, I expect)

That high temperature treatment process that bakes the lignins solid?

Otherwise, polyethlene glycol - http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Using_PEG_for_dimensional_stability.html