PDA

View Full Version : two questions -

Faulko
24th April 2015, 07:15 PM
Hi,

1. sorr, but I'm having a moment and cant see how to place a bid in an auction inthemarktetplace??
2. my bowl gauge heats up a fairbit with ongoing use on a single piece...how normal is this. I am using ry wood... normal or bad technique?
thanks

dai sensei
24th April 2015, 08:00 PM
1. sorr, but I'm having a moment and cant see how to place a bid in an auction inthemarktetplace??

In the top section next to how many days left is a judges gavel and the words Place a Bid, click there

2. my bowl gauge heats up a fairbit with ongoing use on a single piece...how normal is this. I am using ry wood... normal or bad technique?

Maybe poor technique but more likely blunt chisel, although chisels do get hot working hard on hard timbers

Faulko
24th April 2015, 08:42 PM
Oh. now I see. well that's embarrassing. thank you.

blunt and hard timber...

cheers

In the top section next to how many days left is a judges gavel and the words Place a Bid, click there

Maybe poor technique but more likely blunt chisel, although chisels do get hot working hard on hard timbers

Scott
25th April 2015, 11:34 AM
There are two main reasons metal heats up, direct heat (flame) and friction. If your tool is not sharp enough then essentially the blunt edge you are presenting to the timber is not 'cutting' effectively and is just 'rubbing'. The rubbing, essentially, is 'friction' and causes the steel to heat up. As a side effect the timber also heats up which can cause the timber to check (crack) and distort.

I'd probably ensure that your tools are sharp. If you are using harder types of timber then sharpen frequently. If you're not in a woodturning or wood club, they can assist with the correct sharpening techniques.

Hope this helps.

Scott.

pommyphil
25th April 2015, 11:47 AM
I agree with everything said above, but on really hard, dry wood and with a good edge, the tip will get hot. Rubbing the bevel at 3000 rpm will cause friction ! :) Phil

NeilS
27th April 2015, 04:21 PM
I agree with everything said above, but on really hard, dry wood and with a good edge, the tip will get hot. Rubbing the bevel at 3000 rpm will cause friction ! :) Phil

+1