PDA

View Full Version : grinding wheel size for sharpening

mick59wests
25th April 2015, 02:23 PM
As I only use my wet grinder for my turning tools I thought this would be the appropriate forum, so a couple of questions:

I have a Scheppach 2500 wet grinder. The stone started at around 250mm diameter and is now down to 160mm. Is it time to replace the stone?
From what I understand, it will be slowly changing the profile on my chisels. Is that correct?

Also, have people used this and the Tormek stone and if so, how much better is the Tormek as it is about 4 times dearer? I am using the Tormek woodturning 'kit' but would still have to check if I can put one of their stones on the Scheppach. If anyone has done that I would love to know as well.

Thanks in advance

Mick

Pat
25th April 2015, 03:32 PM
Mick, you could see if the Woodcut CBN (http://www.cwsonline.com.au/shop/item/woodcut-cbn-wheel-250mm-x-40mm-x-180g) wheel fits your machine.

No chasing the wheel!

Sturdee
25th April 2015, 04:54 PM
Also, have people used this and the Tormek stone and if so, how much better is the Tormek as it is about 4 times dearer?

Mick

Mick,

I have the Seppach 2000, being the smaller wheel, and have replaced it with the appropriate sized Tormek wheel when the wheel needed replacement without any problem.

I imagine that, unless you are a professional and have it running all day, my setup is equivalent to the original Tormek as the sharpening wheel is the operative part.

I also use the Tormek turning jigs both on my slow grinder for shaping and the Seppach for final sharpening.

Peter.

mick59wests
25th April 2015, 06:13 PM
Mick,

I have the Seppach 2000, being the smaller wheel, and have replaced it with the appropriate sized Tormek wheel when the wheel needed replacement without any problem.

I imagine that, unless you are a professional and have it running all day, my setup is equivalent to the original Tormek as the sharpening wheel is the operative part.

I also use the Tormek turning jigs both on my slow grinder for shaping and the Seppach for final sharpening.

Peter.
Peter,
thanks for the above. Is the Tormek wheel a lot better than the Scheppach?
cheers
Mick

mick59wests
25th April 2015, 06:19 PM
Mick, you could see if the Woodcut CBN (http://www.cwsonline.com.au/shop/item/woodcut-cbn-wheel-250mm-x-40mm-x-180g) wheel fits your machine.

No chasing the wheel!
Pat,
do you know how these compare to a Scheppach or Tormek wheel? They do look interesting
cheers
Mick

Pat
25th April 2015, 07:05 PM
Mick, the CBN wheel, is to me, better than the original. I have had the cbn for about 9 months and the easy of use and quality of the edge is first rate.

Jim Carroll
25th April 2015, 08:24 PM
As a comparison the standard tormek wheel is 220g and the CBN wheel is 280g

This enables you to get a fine edge straight from the wheel.

Where the CBN fails is that with the tormek wheel if you want to get the extra fine finish you dress the wheel to get approx a 1000g so a fine edge for carving tools etc.

If all you want is to sharpen turning tools buzzer blades etc then the cbn is a very good alternative.

Another advantage with the cbn wheel is that you do not have to adjust jour jigs as once set the wheel does not diminish in size with use.

Woodcut CBN Wheel (http://www.cwsonline.com.au/shop/item/woodcut-cbn-wheel-250mm-x-40mm-x-180g)

routermaniac
26th April 2015, 10:14 AM
The tormek is worth the money over the sheppach wheel. Not only can it be graded but it wears much less from personal experience. I have used a tormek for around 7y but recently bought a sheppach 2500 for my father in law. Aside from the overall quality of the grinder I think the huge difference is in the wheel. My impression is that the sheppach cuts faster but wears faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sturdee
26th April 2015, 10:59 AM
Peter,
thanks for the above. Is the Tormek wheel a lot better than the Scheppach?
cheers
Mick

Mick,

The Tormek wheel is indeed a lot better. The Seppach wheel was forever dishing out more in the centre rather then the edges requiring regular dressing and as such wearing out quickly. Maybe it is my technique by applying too much pressure and too much in a hurry, others may have different outcomes.

The T wheel was not all that much dearer then two replacement S wheels and the T wheel should last longer then that. I bought mine from Pop's shed and with turner's club discount and local pickup it was worth doing.

I have also made a couple of other improvement based on the T by getting another tool bar, so I have one on the top for dressing and one for the front for grinding. On both bars I cut a thread and attached a nut for easy micro adjustments and I removed the on/off switch unit and attached it to an extension cord so that I don't have to lean over the machine all the time.

Hope this is a help to you.

Peter.

mick59wests
26th April 2015, 12:06 PM
Jim,
thanks for the above information. I was nearly always using the Scheppach on the fine grit so the Tormek at 1000g seems to offer me an advantage, although I am not really sure how much this is needed.

Pat, Peter and routermaniac,
thanks as well.

It certainly seems I would be better served by not buying the Scheppach replacement wheel.

I then need to decide between the Tormek and CBN wheels but firstly I need to get the rusted nut off my grinder so I can remove the wheel!!

cheers

Mick

mick59wests
4th May 2015, 07:14 PM
After finding a couple of forum members with CBN wheels and one who had fitted it to a Scheppach 2500 this is what I went with. Ordered from Jim on Thursday (who answered all my questions promptly), arrived today, fitted it in under 5 minutes, sharpened some gouges and scrapers and did some turning - fantastic! It is only day one, but either my turning ability improved overnight or these are sharper than I was getting on the fine grading of my Scheppach wheel. If this lasts as long as is expected I will be very happy. I have been warned that the motor on the Scheppach may give out first!

cheers

Mick