PDA

View Full Version : GMC lathe tailstock

jmk89
28th April 2015, 11:01 AM
I recently acquired a GMC lathe as a gift from a bloke who was giving up turning. It seemed like a fair price to give turning a go. I didn't expect much from it, but so far it hasn't been too bad. Its quite good enough to turn tool handles and spindles.

One issue that I have with it is that the tailstock seems to be a dedicated live centre - there is no way I can see to remove the live centre and replace it with, for example, a drill chuck so that it can be used to drill holes in items held in a chuck at the headstock.

Nothing in the Manual that came with it mentions replacing the tailstock, so I assume that this is just another limitation of the machine. I suppose I could just build a new tailstock from hard wood and fix a suitable Morse taper into it, but I thought I would just check with those who know better before embarking on that exercise.

Scott
28th April 2015, 12:17 PM
Is there a 'hole', about 25mm diam at the back of the tailstock? If so, you could push out the live centre with a rod down the tailstock. If not, then I'm 'clueless'!

Tangoman
28th April 2015, 06:13 PM
Any chance of a photo of the lathe and tail stock ?

Cam

Mobyturns
28th April 2015, 08:04 PM
If its one of these http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/gmc-1-2hp-wood-lathe/ I doubt you will have many options.

artful bodger
28th April 2015, 08:50 PM
GMC? Eh?

Sturdee
29th April 2015, 12:32 AM
One issue that I have with it is that the tailstock seems to be a dedicated live centre - there is no way I can see to remove the live centre and replace it with, for example, a drill chuck so that it can be used to drill holes in items held in a chuck at the headstock.

According to an Online tool review (http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/gmcml1000.htm),made when this machine was sold, this machine doesn't have a headstock or tailstock with morse tapers.

Peter.

Mobyturns
29th April 2015, 04:27 PM
According to an Online tool review (http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/gmcml1000.htm),made when this machine was sold, this machine doesn't have a headstock or tailstock with morse tapers.

Peter.

I think I would put that review in the "cash for comment" category.

Sturdee
29th April 2015, 05:32 PM
I think I would put that review in the "cash for comment" category.

I agree wholeheartedly with that, but it provided the answer to the question regarding Morse tapers.

Personally I think GMC and similar lathes are only good for adapting as sanders or polishing/buffing lathes.

Peter.

Paul39
30th April 2015, 03:03 AM
Jeremy,

I would use the lathe as is until you decide you are not going to do much turning or the hook is set deeply enough that you will want a real cast iron bed lathe.

I have two of these, one free and the other $10. They are worth what I paid for them. I have a couple of big heavy real lathes that I use.

The lightly built square or round tube bed lathes tend to flex and the tool rest and tail stock move in different directions, which makes for difficulty in doing good work.

The lathe will probably do good tool handles and not too long spindles.

The bed can be stabilized buy making a block of wood to fit snugly between the bottom of the bed and the bench, and making a block to fit over the tubes with a hole to screw the top block to the bench.

Christos
30th April 2015, 08:37 AM
I recently acquired a GMC lathe as a gift from a bloke who was giving up turning. It seemed like a fair price to give turning a go. I didn't expect much from it, but so far it hasn't been too bad. Its quite good enough to turn tool handles and spindles.......

:2tsup:

Anything for free is a good choice. Do show some of the items that you have turned.

Sorry not familiar with the product and only guessing the next part, but was wondering if it can be taken apart from the tail stock? That's what I had to do with my first lathe remove the part that held the live centre and used a metal rod to remove.

Lidcombe
30th April 2015, 11:02 AM
I have one of these lathes and I'm afraid we are stuck with the existing tail stock.
To drill a hole in a piece, I put the bit in a drill and using the tool rest for support, feed it in ever so slowly.
Make a center hole in your work first, otherwise the bit will not centre and you'll end up with a broken bit, or ruined workpiece.
Sorry !

Mobyturns
30th April 2015, 02:58 PM
is there is no way I can see to remove the live centre and replace it with, for example, a drill chuck so that it can be used to drill holes in items held in a chuck at the headstock.

Depends on what you wish to drill holes into, if its blanks for tool handles, you may be able to secure the drill bit in the head stock end with the supplied chuck. Mark centers on each end then place one end into the live center and make a jig to elevate the head stock end of the blank up to center height and to secure the blank against possible rotation. then use the tail stock to advance the blank onto the drill bit. I believe Ken Wraight published an article not long back on a similar method in either Australian Woodworker or Wood Review.

CAUTION - this technique is only suitable for small hole diameters.

jmk89
30th April 2015, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the replies.