PDA

View Full Version : Cat and Mouse

xpro
28th April 2015, 11:40 AM

In the hope that the forum will continue, I am posting this simple toy automata. The idea is not original, only this version of it is. It can be made simpler by external actuators, unlike this one, which are both internal.
The pin wheels use furniture shelf pins from hardware stores, the body parts are 10mm mdf, cams are ply, and dowels for the cam followers and crankshaft. If members are interested in making it, I can post templates for the parts with photos and instructions for assembly, as a WIP.

Gus

NCArcher
28th April 2015, 07:05 PM
Thanks Gus,
I think a WIP would be a great idea.

Keith_1
28th April 2015, 10:24 PM

In the hope that the forum will continue, I am posting this simple toy automata. The idea is not original, only this version of it is. It can be made simpler by external actuators, unlike this one, which are both internal.
The pin wheels use furniture shelf pins from hardware stores, the body parts are 10mm mdf, cams are ply, and dowels for the cam followers and crankshaft. If members are interested in making it, I can post templates for the parts with photos and instructions for assembly, as a WIP.

Gus

Well Done Gus !!!

You are the Automata Guru (Could open the movie) :2tsup::2tsup:

Keith

xpro
30th April 2015, 12:51 PM
Thanks very much for the comment Keith !
NCA, working on producing drawings and templates with build instructions, will post when completed. I hope you might be inspired to make one or two for the kids....
Gus<style id="pageBrightnessCustomCSS">body{zoom:135%!important;}</style>

crowie
1st May 2015, 10:14 PM
That is one slick toy Gus....well done, sir..cheers, crowie

Christos
2nd May 2015, 12:19 AM
Nice.

xpro
9th May 2015, 11:17 AM
The platform is the stage for all components. Material is your choice, I used 16mm ply.
The cat's body is 180mm long. Please check the printed size against this size, some printers reduce/enlarge automatically. Page is A4.

The photo is the internal layout. The active paw is moved by a small mdf arm, pivoting using 5mm dowel. It should be at rest position when paw is down. If making the cat with moving actuators internal, three cat bodies are needed. The center one is minus the ears. It is cut around the clearance needed to move the paw and tail. 9mm dowels are the cam followers. Length is determined by the distance from the cam to the parts by trial and error. You may want to move the tail less, or more than the one shown in the video. Thickness of the tail and the paw actuator needs to be sanded for clearance and smooth operation. Cams are glued to the camshaft at the corresponding distance to the drilled holes in the platform. The mouse is cut from 16mm mdf, sanded to shape. A wire attaches it to the dowel which is glued to the pin wheel. Glue some string for the tail.
Any questions, PM, post, or email.
Gus

Keith_1
9th May 2015, 11:37 AM
I love your work Gus.

As I said previously - a GURU

Keith

htl
4th January 2017, 11:38 AM
I'm late to the party but still want to say thanks for showing this nice project.

xpro
5th January 2017, 08:20 AM
I'm late to the party but still want to say thanks for showing this nice project.

Thank You HTI ! I hope you might be inspired to make one,
Regards.
Gus