PDA

View Full Version : Timber Die

Shane Watson
29th January 2002, 09:13 AM
No no, its not going to be a morbid post.

I need to roll some metal pipe. I cannot find anybody in the sunny state of QLD to do this for me so I am considering doing it myself.

Now I have access to a type of roll press that is used in my parents workshop to roll RHS metal and I cannot see why I cannot utilise this except that it will most likly compress the pipe top & bottom leaving flat areas.

So I got to thinking over the weekend that if I was to turn up some timber blanks which would effectivly become half the female shape of the pipe (die) so the pipe would in effect be following its own shape, then it shouldn't be flattened. Probably don't get what I am saying, but anyway.

What I was wondering if anybody has used timber in this way before and what sort of success they had? What type of timber did they use etc etc?

Cheers!

Kev Y.
29th January 2002, 05:58 PM
shane, I am not sure about the timber, BUT I have seen sand used for nearly the same purpose.

The process is to fill the pipe with sand and then proceed to bend. Because of the volume of sand in the pipe there is less chance of the pipe flatening or even kinking.

hope this has been usefull

Kev.

RETIRED
29th January 2002, 07:59 PM
Gooday Shane.

Brudda is right BUT make sure the sand is dry and free flowing, the heat from welding can cause an explosion in wet sand.

You can use a timber "mandrel", make it a poofteenth under size.

What size is it?

------------------
Ian () Robertson
"We do good turns every day"

Shane Watson
31st January 2002, 04:01 PM
Argh! excellent guys! Thanks for the tips. I will let you know how I get on if I manage to find time to get onto that project!
Cheers!

Iain
31st January 2002, 06:31 PM
For the benefit of those who are not conversant with 's fractions
1 poofteenth = 5 bee's dicks

Shane Watson
31st January 2002, 07:42 PM
, I plan to use 3inch pipe. But that may be determined by the machineries capacity that I will be using.
Cheers.!

RETIRED
31st January 2002, 09:12 PM
May the FORCE be with you http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
Ian () Robertson
"We do good turns every day"

Shane Watson
18th February 2002, 11:15 AM
Bit of an up-date...It didn't work, I still ended up with a flat spot on the pipe. Not to worry, was a bit of a long shot anyway.
Cheers!

AlexS
19th February 2002, 11:27 PM
Iain,
1 bee's dick = 5 mickey hairs