PDA

View Full Version : Sneak Peek

Mobyturns
30th April 2015, 10:36 AM
Sneak Peek.
My donation to the American Association of Woodturners (AAW) - Education Opportunities Grant (EOG) donation - a linear laminated goblet from West Australian Jarrah for the main body and stem with Silver Ash and Red Gum veneers. Approx 8.1" × 2.44" (205 mm × 62 mm). Sealed with nitro-cellulose sanding sealer, test fitting prior to glue-up, then a lick of lacquer & into the post.
Now all I need is a snappy title - any ideas?

dai sensei
30th April 2015, 10:49 AM
Looking good. I especially like the way the laminates terminate at a solid avoiding the often mismatch of laminates. Just need to think a bit more on how you did it :rolleyes:

Mobyturns
30th April 2015, 10:55 AM
Looking good. I especially like the way the laminates terminate at a solid avoiding the often mismatch of laminates. Just need to think a bit more on how you did it :rolleyes:

Very carefully! Very little mismatch in the laminates with the methods I use, but it is very time consuming to get to look right. :D

powderpost
30th April 2015, 11:46 AM
Another very nice job Geoff. I like the lines, especially the simple lines in the bowl. Very elegant piece. I will stick my neck out and suggest the base should have been bigger, probably up to the diameter of the top, for appearance and stability.

Jim

Bluegum
30th April 2015, 01:00 PM
Looks awesome there moby. Very nice. :2tsup:

Mobyturns
30th April 2015, 02:48 PM
Another very nice job Geoff. I like the lines, especially the simple lines in the bowl. Very elegant piece. I will stick my neck out and suggest the base should have been bigger, probably up to the diameter of the top, for appearance and stability.

Jim

Kiddies stuff compared to your work :D

Mobyturns
5th May 2015, 08:33 AM

Jim

Jim, The last photo shows it more as true life proportions than the other photo which suffers a little barrel distortion. As it is never intended to be a "user" I decided to de-emphasize the base to give the impression that it is taller than it actually is. Often I make the base out of the same blank but that takes away from the overall impact I feel. Base is 42 mm dia cup is 62 mm dia, so about 2/3 rds. I take much of my inspiration from fine glassware & crystal ware.

ps sorry for the delay in responding, I have had a terrible time in getting onto WWF lately.

Wood Nut
7th May 2015, 11:55 AM
I love the level of accuracy required and the quality of turning. It reminds me very much of the work done by someone I've met at Turnfest and in NZ.
Cheers,
Paul:)

Mobyturns
7th May 2015, 07:48 PM
I love the level of accuracy required and the quality of turning. It reminds me very much of the work done by someone I've met at Turnfest and in NZ.
Cheers,
Paul:)

Yeah I know that fella! How ya going Paul.

Wood Nut
7th May 2015, 08:59 PM
Yeah I know that fella! How ya going Paul.

Good Geoff, and how about you?
The level of safety employed did not escape me!
Would like to know a bit more about these types of donations.

Cheers,
Paul

Mobyturns
7th May 2015, 09:55 PM
Would like to know a bit more about these types of donations.

Cheers,
Paul

The AAW's Education Opportunities Grant auction is run to raise funds for providing a number of education opportunities - providing training resources to members or member chapters and even extends to grants to individual members to further their knowledge with small grants to attend seminars etc. So its a worthwhile initiative. Donations are usually by way of invitation, with the donor choosing an option for the level of support i.e. 25% to 100% of proceeds to AAW.

The auction itself is run in two/three parts I believe, a silent auction, and an online/live auction. The AAW makes the decision which items will go in which auction, generally the high profile works go live/online. I participated in 2013 however auction prices were well down on previous years. If anyone is interested in bidding or following the auction details are at http://www.woodturner.org/?page=2015Exhibitions

My 2013 pieces are middle RHS

Mobyturns
16th May 2015, 11:16 PM
Well I can finally say my work is being auctioned internationally. My "Diamond Lil" goblet donated to the AAW's EOG benefit auction is now available at http://www.icollector.com/Diamond-Lil-by-Geoff-Whaling_i22309955
… — feeling excited.

powderpost
17th May 2015, 10:07 PM
:2tsup:

Jim

Mobyturns
20th May 2015, 08:24 AM
:2tsup:

Jim

Thanks Jim, the :2tsup: from you means a lot.

Not like the usual cheek you dish out to us :D

dai sensei
20th May 2015, 01:02 PM
:cool::2tsup:

Mobyturns
27th June 2015, 12:31 PM
Well the AAW Education Opportunity Grant auction is done and dusted. I watched the live bid process live & my contribution was the 3rd last item auctioned. A bit of a wait but worth it as it built the anticipation level.

Very pleased with the result. I estimated it may fetch $300 in the current market in the USA but it sold for $400 so a nice pick up for the EOG.

powderpost
27th June 2015, 06:00 PM
Well done, a deserved reward.. :2tsup:

Jim

DaveTTC
27th June 2015, 08:15 PM
Bit late to the party but nice job. Id do a big thumbs up but not good at these smilies. Can do a wink or a smike. Congratulations on the sale too.

I think I have worked out your glue up. Ive got a long way to get to your level

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

Mobyturns
27th June 2015, 11:38 PM
Bit late to the party but nice job. Id do a big thumbs up but not good at these smilies. Can do a wink or a smike. Congratulations on the sale too.

I think I have worked out your glue up. Ive got a long way to get to your level

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

The item is a donation so the proceeds go to the AAW EOG fund, I don't see one cent of it. The EOG fund is a good concept where the money is used to "Provide educational opportunities that expand and enrich the entire woodturning community." http://www.woodturner.org/?page=GrantsEOG

smiife
28th June 2015, 11:53 AM
Hi moby,
Thats is a great concept,,, It,s a shame we don, t do
something similar here for our kids, i would be good to encourage
the youth of today to get involved in woodturning in some way
Maybe through schools or tafe possibly:2tsup:

Mobyturns
29th June 2015, 07:43 AM
Hi moby,
Thats is a great concept,,, It,s a shame we don, t do
something similar here for our kids, i would be good to encourage
the youth of today to get involved in woodturning in some way
Maybe through schools or tafe possibly:2tsup:

Smifie, The AAW EOG program supports many initiatives and not only for US organizations or individuals. AAW also run a Turners Without Borders program. Its a shame we don't have a national wood turning organization in Oz. Its more concerning that many schools have dropped the old "manual arts" classes due to liability issues.

At least my little bit may end up being a significant contribution towards a mini lathe or a set of tools for a "shop" somewhere in the USA where kids can be introduced to wood turning. :D All it cost me was my time, some materials and postage and maybe an AWTEX entry.

Oh - the EOG auction raised almost US$70k. Not a bad effort. I believe the highest priced auction item was the Women in Turning "Crate of Eggs" which went for $9k and then a Binh Pho piece for $6500.