PDA

View Full Version : How would I make this?

Jenny Brandis
18th July 2005, 12:21 AM
I thought this would be a nice gift for my Lace Making teacher - especially if I made it - but how?

How do I get the pen bit in without drilling out the side or off centre? Do I drill before or after turning, HELP!:confused:

smidsy
18th July 2005, 12:40 AM
Hei Jenny,
It may be easier to make pens using a standard mechanism, check out
http://www.timbecon.com.au/products/pen-mechanisms-blanks-431_0.aspx

for a range of pen and pencil mechanisms.
Cheers
Paul

Jim Carroll
18th July 2005, 08:55 AM
Jenny it is quite easy to do these types of pens.
Predrill the hole with a long series drill bit. Bet to do this on a pedestal drill so that you drill down the centre of the wood.Then turn between centres with the live centre in the hollow end.

ptc
18th July 2005, 10:50 AM
Jenny.
i use three drills two held in hand and one in drill chuck.
and a metal centreing bit. in a drill chuck.
will take pic of them and sizes and post it tomorrow.
very quick and easy.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
19th July 2005, 01:10 AM
What Jim said.

It can also be done with pin-jaws and a jacob's chuck but is fiddlier and I know you don't have both of them. Yet. ;)

Cliff Rogers
19th July 2005, 01:39 AM
Here's how I learned how to do it...
This is the recipe straight from Fed Holder.....

A simple wooden pen using a BIC insert.
I use a Nova chuck with the small (25 mm) jaws and grip the piece of wood (about 1/2" square) firmly, but aligned so that the tailcenter is at about center of the other end. I clamp down tight and screw in the tail center to support it properly. I turn the wood round. Then, I take a 5/32" by 6" drill, mark it a little beyond the length of the BIC insert and hold it with a chuck (one that fits comfortably in my hand). I visually align the drill with the ways of the lathe bed and with the spindle spinning at about 2800 rpm, I gently guide the drill into the detent made by the tail center and push in to start the hole. Then, taking about 3/8" to 1/2" deep cuts, I drill the hole deeper and deeper. I completely remove the drill after each cut to remove the garbage from the hole. It is all done freehand. When I've drilled to the depth mark on my drill (I use typing whiteout as a marker), I lay the drill along side of the blank and mark with a pencil to indicate the end of the hole. Next, I bring up the tail stock to support the end. Cut a small V-groove a bit beyond the pencil mark and then finish turn, sand, apply wax, and part off. I glue in the insert with a small dab of Yellow Lable Hot Stuff CA glue (any thick CA glue would work).
—Fred Holder

ptc
19th July 2005, 01:23 PM
Left to right.
1 Metal centre bit,
2 Drill 5/32.
3 long drill 9/64 5" long
4 Drill no 20.

Mount blank in scroll chuck centre it. then with (1) in tailstock drill for live centre

bring up live centre and Turn blank as required. finish and polish.

2 drill in tailstock and drill (leader for 3)

3 Tail stock out of way and drill to required depth. by hand (lathe running. it does not take long to get this right)
but with draw drill regularly to clear it

Return tailstock and centre to pen (loose fit) finish tip of pen,
remove tailstock clear.

4 lathe running Use Drill (No 20 ) this is a reamer for the ball point.

Fit ball point.
then part off pen from chuck.
it is advisable to make a pin hole at right angles to the insert.(helps flow of ink)
if you look at a ballpoint you will see it.

gatiep
19th July 2005, 02:10 PM
Phew guys, I suppose it can be done by lazer technology as well BUT as Jenny has said in her previous posts she hasn't yet got access to scroll chucks etc, so I would definately go with Jim's suggestion which uses the KISS principle.

Paul:
Those type of pens are easier to make than the propelling pens for which a mandrell is required.

Jenny:
As Jim said and if you do not have access to a long series drill, use the longest drill that you can find which is the same diameter as the tip bit that fots into the handle. Then use a 'slightly used' bic refill and cut off the excess plastic tubing provided where you cut there is no ink in the tube. If you do that to a new refill the ink will leak out where cut through the ink.

Enjoy the project, I think it is a novel idea to make the pen like a lace bobbin for your lace teacher.

Sprog
20th July 2005, 01:47 AM
If you do not have long drills then the head and neck could be turned separate to the body or cut off after turning the whole, giving the opportunity to drill the body from both ends, the head and neck part can then be fitted back later.