PDA

View Full Version : question about tools

azambi
18th July 2005, 04:35 AM
hi,

i'm interested in learning about wodturning and i'd probably use pen blanks, though not for pens...but what are the very basic tools necessary to start and get a feel for it before spending to much money..is it possible to do some kind of turning without a lathe?

also where can i find a good variety of interesting pen blanks?

thanks!

PTP
18th July 2005, 09:38 PM
is it possible to do some kind of turning without a lathe?

also where can i find a good variety of interesting pen blanks?

thanks!
Many years ago I saw a few lathes that were driven by a power drill but these were very basic. For pens there are mandrels around that are designed for use in a drill but to be honest with any mandrel you can remove the morse taper and use a jacobs chuck.

In my opinion you would be better off scanning the papers for a second hand lathe. You'll see on here that people are always looking to upgrade.

Even small new lathes are under $400, the Carba-Tec micro lathe being an example.

Contacting your local Woodcraft Guild will normally give you access to a lathe without the expense of buying your own, and a cheap tool set will be around $100.00

As for timber blanks.. See the link in my signature and watch that space.

Most of all have fun.

RETIRED
18th July 2005, 09:52 PM
Ummmmmmmmm, did you check the address? :D

Cliff Rogers
18th July 2005, 09:59 PM
....but what are the very basic tools necessary to start and get a feel for it before spending to much money........
Yeap, use someone else's. :)

Find a club near you & go along to a few meetings. Some clubs have 'prac day' or hands on sessions. Some also give lessons.