PDA

View Full Version : toona ciliata

Ken
20th February 2002, 07:17 AM
I have a quantity of Australian Red Cedar, sawn over 30 years ago, but will be selling the shed that it is stored in shortly, and will be pushed for space to keep it all. Can anyone out there give me some idea what it is worth these days ?

ubeaut
20th February 2002, 08:22 AM
G'day Ken - cut 30 years ago...... it's Toona Australis

Last time I purchased some (about 18 mths ago in Melb) it was $5.50 super ft. I have seen it priced up to $10 per super. But the price will depend on how fast you want to sell. If you won't have storage for it then you may get degrading of the wood if left to the elaments. I personally would be selling it for around the $5 mark to get rid of it. If it gets degraded then it may not be worth much at all, and it doesn't burn well, so that option is out.

Price could also depend on the size of the pieces. Over 10" wide or 3x3 and 4x4's could all be sold at a higher price as they are much rarer than boards.

Hope this helps a little

Cheers - Neil

Funny thing about timber prices, I was paying around $5.00, 10 years ago and $3-$4.00, 20 years ago. There doesn't seem to have been the hike in prices of timber over the last 20 years that there has in other things.

Must admit that I haven't purchased much other than some pine in the last 12 months so there may have been some dramatic changes.

[This message has been edited by ubeaut (edited 20 February 2002).]