PDA

View Full Version : The Anniversary Dinner

xpro
10th May 2015, 01:18 PM
Developing this concept for an automata. Shockingly crude drawings, can't draw for nuts! Anyway, a couple is at a fancy restaurant, in a private booth, nicely set table, curtains around, wine has been poured, she dressed to the nines, he slightly less so, big bunch of flowers on the the table. Both endlessly tapping on their smartphones, ignoring each other. A waiter appears, food under a silver cloche, ready to serve. He looks up at him, she looks up at him, both return to their phones. After a while, waiter turns and disappears. Slowly, the flowers wilt..........
The cycle begins anew.
Any input, further additions, comments, refinements, would be welcome.
How the hell I would make it, no idea yet ! May have bitten off more than I can chew ! It is a WIP, may take weeks...months

Gus

crowie
10th May 2015, 01:29 PM
Sorry Gus I'm no help but want to see what the brains trust comes up with!! Cheers, crowie

crowie
10th May 2015, 09:26 PM
Gus, I just found this link from someone else's thread some time back, apologizes as i can't remember who and went...cheers, crowie

https://www.youtube.com/user/myoshiiky?annotation_id=annotation_653235901&feature=iv&src_vid=H85AlpgyhCE&sub_confirmation=1

xpro
10th May 2015, 10:03 PM
Gus, I just found this link from someone else's thread some time back, apologizes as i can't remember who and went...cheers, crowie

https://www.youtube.com/user/myoshiiky?annotation_id=annotation_653235901&feature=iv&src_vid=H85AlpgyhCE&sub_confirmation=1

Thanks Crowie,

Just wonderful work there, a real master.
Gus

Keith_1
11th May 2015, 09:59 AM
Gus,

I'm sure you will come up with something mind boggling

Keith

Sebastiaan56
11th May 2015, 12:31 PM
Hilarious idea, I look forward to it as well.

Keith_1
11th May 2015, 08:03 PM
Gus - the man's wife head appears up through the centre of the table :smack: :roflmao2:

You would probably have to rename it from "Anniversary Dinner" though.

Keith

xpro
12th May 2015, 03:28 PM
Gus - the man's wife head appears up through the centre of the table :smack: :roflmao2:

You would probably have to rename it from "Anniversary Dinner" though.

Keith

Hmmm, Keith,
Getting my head around that.... "head on a platter" ? "the dropped phone incident" ? "the anniversary gift" ?

Keith_1
12th May 2015, 04:40 PM
Hmmm, Keith,
Getting my head around that.... "head on a platter" ? "the dropped phone incident" ? "the anniversary gift" ?

I just thought about the husband being caught out by his wife whilst having dinner with his "girlfriend"

Anyway - just a thought

Keith

xpro
12th May 2015, 05:06 PM
I just thought about the husband being caught out by his wife whilst having dinner with his "girlfriend"

Anyway - just a thought

Keith
Hey Keith,
That is a good idea ! I am writing that one in the "ideas" folder, thank you !
Gus

Rod Gilbert
13th May 2015, 10:18 PM

This is one of our members and as soon as I saw this new thread I thought of him his automaton are amazing.
Regards Rod.

xpro
14th May 2015, 06:55 PM
The couple are 140mm high. I am using Jelutong, first time I've used it, carves very well with rotary tools. This first carve was a four hour job.

Christos
14th May 2015, 07:17 PM
I think this is going to be an interesting thread to watch the work in progress.

Pulling up a chair.

xpro
20th May 2015, 03:53 PM
The two main figures are now more or less done. All up 12 hours. Next is the waiter, and remove female head to enable movement.
Thanks for watching,
Gus

347632<style id="pageBrightnessCustomCSS">body{zoom:85%!important;}</style>

Keith_1
20th May 2015, 08:07 PM
Gus,

This is coming along beautifully. You are an excellent carver and sculptor :2tsup::brava

Well Done

Keith

xpro
26th May 2015, 04:34 PM
The last of the three characters now carved. Like the other two, the finish will mostly be paint, except the female which will have a wig, some clothes and stockings. Next is the table and chairs, the "stage" with backdrop, then the mechanisms.
Thanks for watching,
Gus

crowie
26th May 2015, 04:49 PM
The last of the three characters now carved. Like the other two, the finish will mostly be paint, except the female which will have a wig, some clothes and stockings. Next is the table and chairs, the "stage" with backdrop, then the mechanisms.
Thanks for watching,
Gus

WOW Gus, You've got the waiter down to a "T"....his face even looks posh...well done, cheers, crowie

xpro
26th May 2015, 05:01 PM
WOW Gus, You've got the waiter down to a "T"....his face even looks posh...well done, cheers, crowie

Thanks Crowie ! I didn't show the rear view, that is a surprise element for later.

Gus

Keith_1
27th May 2015, 08:02 PM
Excellent Work as always Gus. I am really enjoying this. Look forward to the next post.:2tsup:

Regards

Keith

xpro
28th May 2015, 05:44 PM
Recalled the number of initially unsuccessful elements of the last project, I decided to make the mechanisms without positioning the M & F characters in the beginning. They are leaning forward, so the head movement parts will be at an angle to the drive shaft/gears etc. I needed to see if I can make a workable uni joint to overcome that problem. Made using 15mm square jarrah, 60mm long overall and using steel pins for the pivots. Seems to work smoothly, now just have to figure out the rest.
Thanks for looking.
Gus

Keith_1
28th May 2015, 06:47 PM
Recalled the number of initially unsuccessful elements of the last project, I decided to make the mechanisms without positioning the M & F characters in the beginning. They are leaning forward, so the head movement parts will be at an angle to the drive shaft/gears etc. I needed to see if I can make a workable uni joint to overcome that problem. Made using 15mm square jarrah, 60mm long overall and using steel pins for the pivots. Seems to work smoothly, now just have to figure out the rest.
Thanks for looking.
Gus

Looks Great Gus,

Regards

Keith

xpro
30th May 2015, 05:52 PM
These will be painted possibly white. This is the last of the works before the mechanicals begin, hopefully will have some progress soon.
Thanks for watching,
Gus

Keith_1
30th May 2015, 08:54 PM
These will be painted possibly white. This is the last of the works before the mechanicals begin, hopefully will have some progress soon.
Thanks for watching,
Gus

Coming along beautifully Gus:2tsup:

xpro
7th June 2015, 05:04 PM
The waiter must have two quite long pauses, when arriving at the table, and in the kitchen. Other movement must happen during this period. The previous automata mechanism I used did not provide enough time, this clutch appears do that.
The output gear turns a shaft constantly. The lever which moves the rack and pinion is engaged when the cam followers are enabled by the fixed cam adjacent. There is some fine tuning to be done, but it appears to work as intended. I hope the very poor video will illustrate the action.
Thanks for watching.
Gus

Keith_1
8th June 2015, 09:50 AM
I have already said it in my personal email to you Gus but

WOW, WOW, WOW, WOW - you are a genius mate. How did you think that out. What fantastic skills. I am in awe. Make my stuff look pretty mundane. You are indeed a very skilful person - FANTASTIC - can't wait to see how you connect to the dining setting you have made for the anniversary.

TOP STUFF:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Keith

xpro
10th June 2015, 10:46 AM
Involving three gears and a pinwheel, the speed reduction is 11:1, leaving ( I hope) plenty of time for movements between pauses each end.
Thanks for looking,
Gus

(Looking forward to WWS this weekend, and meeting some members on the stand )

crowie
10th June 2015, 11:23 AM
Involving three gears and a pinwheel, the speed reduction is 11:1, leaving ( I hope) plenty of time for movements between pauses each end.
Thanks for looking,
Gus

(Looking forward to WWS this weekend, and meeting some members on the stand )

Very clever engineering Gus.....might catch up if you're at the show on Friday early...cheers crowie

xpro
16th June 2015, 06:27 PM
Most of this is crude prototype, but it does exactly what I was wanting. Fixed block on the frame turns it to the guests, cam under turns it to 180º against a stop pin, the linear engine moves it back to the kitchen, a cam under turns it to the start position.
Thanks for looking,
Gus

crowie
16th June 2015, 07:17 PM
I see the waiter moving forward & back but the video is upside down??:D

xpro
16th June 2015, 07:25 PM
I see the waiter moving forward & back but the video is upside down??:D

Ooh ! Technology ! I will try to,fix that, thanks Crowie!
No luck, I will get advice and repost.
Gus

xpro
16th June 2015, 08:00 PM
350204<style id="pageBrightnessCustomCSS">body{zoom:75%!important;}</style>

Keith_1
16th June 2015, 08:05 PM
Crowie,

That is because we are in the "land downunder".

Great work Gus. It's come up a treat. Just like your original drawings

Keep up the excellent work

Regards

Keith

xpro
21st June 2015, 06:25 PM
As the waiter arrives, both in turn look at him, and instantly return to their devices, ignoring him. Cams operate the mechanics, the return is actuated by springs.
Thanks for looking,

Gus

350579<style id="pageBrightnessCustomCSS">body{zoom:85%!important;}</style>

crowie
21st June 2015, 06:38 PM
Very clever indeed Gus, but just noticed the waiters rear side seem very very smooth?? trousers?? Cheers, crowie

xpro
21st June 2015, 06:42 PM
Very clever indeed Gus, but just noticed the waiters rear side seem very very smooth?? trousers?? Cheers, crowie

Hey Crowie, that wasn't meant to be noticed yet..... hawkeye ! :o

Gus<style id="pageBrightnessCustomCSS">body{zoom:115%!important;}</style>

crowie
21st June 2015, 06:56 PM
Hey Crowie, that wasn't meant to be noticed yet..... hawkeye ! :o

Gus<style id="pageBrightnessCustomCSS">body{zoom:115%!important;}</style>

:doh: Sorry Gus for spilling the beans BUT it just looked so obvious....:rofl::rofl::laughing1::laughing1::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao2::roflmao2:

xpro
21st June 2015, 07:15 PM
:doh: Sorry Gus for spilling the beans BUT it just looked so obvious....:rofl::rofl::laughing1::laughing1::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao2::roflmao2:

And I was worried that its a bit subtle......hehe. No probs Crowie<style id="pageBrightnessCustomCSS">body{zoom:125%!important;}</style>

Keith_1
21st June 2015, 08:14 PM
What can we say Gus - other than "Top Notch - Tremendous Work":wave:

All the Best

Keith

xpro
23rd June 2015, 07:49 PM
Behind the waiter's arrival spot, this will be the final reaction to the dinner guest's behaviour, I think, but with automata things often develop as the scene takes on a life of its own.
Thanks for looking,
Gus

crowie
23rd June 2015, 07:53 PM
Very nice Gus but how big are they??...cheers, crowie

xpro
23rd June 2015, 08:01 PM
Very nice Gus but how big are they??...cheers, crowie

Thanks Crowie, the height of the tallest flower is 50mm, overall with the vase and base is around 100mm.

Gus

<style id="pageBrightnessCustomCSS">body{zoom:75%!important;}</style>

crowie
23rd June 2015, 08:13 PM
Thanks Crowie, the height of the tallest flower is 50mm, overall with the vase and base is around 100mm.

Gus

<style id="pageBrightnessCustomCSS">body{zoom:75%!important;}</style>

Thanks Gus...bigger than I thought it looked...keep it coming, cheers, crowie

Keith_1
23rd June 2015, 08:52 PM
Gus

As I said in my email - the flowers are absolutely brilliant:hpydans2::hpydans::clap3::yippee:

You are a credit to the art of Automata.

TOP SHELF - Great

What else can I say

Regards

Keith

xpro
24th June 2015, 05:23 PM
Each holding the target of the waiter's derision. This completes the prototype work. Now disassembly of the entire work, followed by remaking the elements which were exploratory, then painting the characters, the backdrop, kitchen, tables and chairs, hair for her, electrical circuits, in short making the "real thing".
I thank all who followed up to this point, appreciate the interest.
Gus

Keith_1
25th June 2015, 09:36 AM
Well Done Gus.

Are they technical savvy and using i pad menus ?

Really nice work

Keith

xpro
25th June 2015, 02:59 PM
Well Done Gus.

Are they technical savvy and using i pad menus ?

Really nice work

Keith

Keith,Thanks very much ! I'm guessing they aren't accessing the Woodwork Forums......
<style id="pageBrightnessCustomCSS">body{zoom:125%!important;}</style>

xpro
1st August 2015, 08:17 PM
This crude video is the almost finished automata. Currently overseas for an extended period, the job weill be completed later. To be done is the dressing of the background, the table setting, finess painting of the characters etc.
Thanks very much for watching and the comments to date,
Gus

Christos
1st August 2015, 10:28 PM
What you have done so far I love it. :2tsup:

crowie
2nd August 2015, 05:31 PM
This crude video is the almost finished automata. Currently overseas for an extended period, the job weill be completed later. To be done is the dressing of the background, the table setting, finess painting of the characters etc.
Thanks very much for watching and the comments to date,
Gus

WOW Gus,
The patience, ingenuity, time and effort to make what looks like a simple toy is extraordinary sir, WELL DONE!!!
Cheers, crowie

xpro
10th November 2015, 12:32 PM
Photo of the completed project here, video in the works. Thanks for watching,
Gus

Christos
10th November 2015, 03:58 PM
I don't know about others but I am excited.

Keith_1
11th November 2015, 08:26 AM
Gus

Your skills are incredible:2tsup:

Can't wait to see the finished video.

OUTSTANDING WORK - Congratulations:clap::hooray:

Regards

Keith

xpro
12th October 2016, 03:20 PM
Finally ! The video is finished, thanks very much to all who followed its progress.

Regards,
Gus

crowie
12th October 2016, 03:26 PM
That's so clever Gus.. I will have drop down one day to see your fantastic mechanical creations.... cheers Peter

Ruddy
12th October 2016, 03:34 PM
Hats off to you.Very very well done.

xpro
15th October 2016, 05:46 PM
Hats off to you.Very very well done.

Thank You Ruddy !
Gus

xpro
15th October 2016, 05:48 PM
Gus

Your skills are incredible:2tsup:

Can't wait to see the finished video.

OUTSTANDING WORK - Congratulations:clap::hooray:

Regards

Keith

Thanks very much Keith !

Regards,
Gus

xpro
15th October 2016, 05:51 PM
That's so clever Gus.. I will have drop down one day to see your fantastic mechanical creations.... cheers Peter

Thank You Peter ! Looking forward to your visit !
Regards,
Gus