PDA

View Full Version : Fixed splitter table saws

monoman
18th July 2005, 11:06 PM
Hi,

I'm after some advice from users of a fixed-splitter table saw, like on the TSC-10HB. I've only ever used saws with riving knives and overhead guards, and the thought of using a splitter scares the cr*p out of me.

Has anyone else had to deal with changing to a saw with a splitter? How did you cope? Am I just being paranoid?

Cheers and thanks

speedy
18th July 2005, 11:38 PM
Hi, well I've had/used a few different saws and I don't really feel there is much difference. Just follow the same safety procedures as you normally would.:)

Dean
19th July 2005, 03:13 PM
Hmm I would think not using a splitter would scare the cr&p out of you? The splitter is safer :), however, it can easily be removed from the 10HB if you feel you don't want or need it, so its not hard fixed to the machine. You could remove it and use something like the Microjig splitter and any aftermarket overhead guard that suits if you like.

graemecarson
19th July 2005, 03:49 PM
Aren't these basically the same thing? I thunk that the riving knife was just a splitter attached closer to the blade (maybe attached to the arbor mount) and the splitter was a riving knife attached to an extension off the back of the saw.

Must check my Jet supersaw. I have the CE version with the riving knife and the attached overhead guard with dust extraction. But I also have a manual for the US version that has a splitter with overhead guard and no dust extraction.. Interesting!!!

Dean
19th July 2005, 04:00 PM
Yeah they do similar things. Although I just remembered that the Microjig splitter can only be used for square cuts, i.e. not angles. There are other aftermarket splitters that attach to the saw that move with the saw tilt. These are probably better, albeit a fair bit more costly.

knucklehead
19th July 2005, 04:40 PM
Monoman, In my opinion the splitter is the only major downer on the TSC10HB.
It is restrictive when using jigs and sleds. It is also of limited use when cutting at angles.
One simple idea that I will try (some day) is adding a small splitter to a home made zero clearance insert. You can then have several inserts for differnet jobs. Most jigs and sled should work O.K.
These things would only be suitable for small thickness timber. As soon as the larger timber is being cut you need a more robust srrangment.

Maybe some thing like this?
http://www.woodshopdemos.com/safe-5.htm

monoman
19th July 2005, 05:29 PM
Monoman, In my opinion the splitter is the only major downer on the TSC10HB.

I'm with you on this.

Anyways, I took the plunge an bought one of these suckers today. I think I'll have a good look at possible ways of mounting a true riving knife to it before I assemble the saw.

Maybe some thing like this?
http://www.woodshopdemos.com/safe-5.htm

Nice toy. I'm sure it has its uses.

Cheers

soundman
19th July 2005, 10:33 PM
That one of the reasons I baught the mbs300.
Buy anyway, my previous saw had an american type splitter, It only a problem when you are doing non thru sawing.
It scares the hell out of me to see (typical yanks) using a saw bench without a guard or a splitter. They seem happy with this?
cheers

boban
19th July 2005, 10:56 PM
That one of the reasons I baught the mbs300.
Buy anyway, my previous saw had an american type splitter, It only a problem when you are doing non thru sawing.
It scares the hell out of me to see (typical yanks) using a saw bench without a guard or a splitter. They seem happy with this?
cheers
Its not just the yanks...

Harry72
19th July 2005, 11:13 PM
I can understand not using a spliter while doing non-through cuts as the wood cant close in on the blade like a through cut?
I dont like the Hb's guard/spliter set up either it is quite restrictive, building a suva type guard soon.

monoman
19th July 2005, 11:23 PM
All CE rated saws must use a rise and fall riving knife. It's only a matter of time before Australia has the same laws. The Yanks on the other hand, which are yet to really embrase the sliding panel saw, will keep on using splitters.

It's a shame I couldn't find the extra dollars right now to go for a TS-12R, or a TC-12, which have riving knives. It's taken me three years to get my workshop set-up again. I just wasn't going to wait any longer. The money I save will help pay for an 8" planner (can't say jointer, yuk). In the meantime, I can dress wide faces through the thicknesser on a sled.

Hopefully, I can generate enough dollars out of the commissions I to enable me to off load the Delta thicknesser and TSC-10HB for some serious kit. But that will be much further down the track.

Cheers

speedy
20th July 2005, 12:10 AM
My old table saw was homemade, no riving knife, no splitter, nothing used it for 20 years. :eek: