PDA

View Full Version : Remodeling

turnerted
10th May 2015, 06:09 PM
G'day
About six or seven years ago, I turned this Sally wattle vase . It's about 210mm high by 130mm diam.It has been sitting on a shelf where I see it frequently and over the years my idea of form has changed (improved ?).I think the base looks too heavy and dominent , so I decided to modify it.
I turned up a jam chuck to take the neck ,then mounted it between centres and turned a tennon on the foot . I decided that while I was at it ,I'd take a bit of meat out of the inside to reduce the weight . My hollowing equipment has improved somewhat since I made this vase .
Next I turned up a cone to fit the neck and with it mounted between centres ,I reshaped it so's the wall of the vase extends into the tennon and I ended up with a smaller base .
After sanding , I finished with sanding sealer and about four coats of DO .I'm not sure what my finishing proceedure was the first time , but I ended up with a much better finish this time.
Do you think it's an improvement?
Ted

mick59wests
10th May 2015, 07:14 PM
Ted,

assuming the second photo is the 'new and improved' then I think it is a change for the better

cheers

Mick

orraloon
10th May 2015, 07:39 PM
Looks better.
I have a few of my beginner turnings gathering dust but have so far left them alone to remind me of progress made. However if I were to have a shortage of turning wood then I would look at them in a different way.
Regards
John

smiife
10th May 2015, 07:55 PM
G'day
About six or seven years ago, I turned this Sally wattle vase . It's about 210mm high by 130mm diam.It has been sitting on a shelf where I see it frequently and over the years my idea of form has changed (improved ?).I think the base looks too heavy and dominent , so I decided to modify it.
I turned up a jam chuck to take the neck ,then mounted it between centres and turned a tennon on the foot . I decided that while I was at it ,I'd take a bit of meat out of the inside to reduce the weight . My hollowing equipment has improved somewhat since I made this vase .
Next I turned up a cone to fit the neck and with it mounted between centres ,I reshaped it so's the wall of the vase extends into the tennon and I ended up with a smaller base .
After sanding , I finished with sanding sealer and about four coats of DO .I'm not sure what my finishing proceedure was the first time , but I ended up with a much better finish this time.
Do you think it's an improvement?
Ted

Hi ted,
Yes, a definite Improvement, I have tried sally wattle a few
times , nice timber but mine have always split very badly
so you have done very well, my only comment would be the
foot needs to be a bit more delicate, maybe thinner !
Other wise very nice, great reno ,!

chuck1
11th May 2015, 06:53 AM
Very nice remodel! Think I have a few bowls that could re-readturned.
I also used to have chunky design at the start, partly because most of the turning I did was structural posts.
very nice job you have done.

turnerted
11th May 2015, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the comments.
Ted

bookend
13th May 2015, 09:53 PM
It is a big improvement. Well done.

Did you consider reducing or getting rid of the foot? I personally like simple shapes and having no base is less complex.

Christos
14th May 2015, 05:51 PM
Out of the two photos I prefer the one with the larger foot at the base, and about 1/3 shorter.

I also have several pieces of my early projects and I would love to remount to reshape. Maybe one day.

turnerted
15th May 2015, 05:14 PM
Interesting to get the feedback . The picture on the left is the returned version.
Ted

Mobyturns
17th May 2015, 11:38 AM
Ted,

assuming the second photo is the 'new and improved' then I think it is a change for the better

cheers

Mick

Mick I had to laugh as I made the same assumption first off, that the second photo was the "improved" version until I looked closer and though maybe Ted has one of these reversing lathes -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYvcHS2XPU0