PDA

View Full Version : Camphour Laurel

Kev Y.
21st February 2002, 03:28 PM
Hi all, I have been offered some Camphour Laurel logs, I was wondering just WHAT does this timber lend itself to. is it good for turning, or should it be cut into planks and used for boxes?

Kev.

------------------
IF at first you don't succeed, relax your normal.

Shane Watson
21st February 2002, 04:12 PM
Mate so many woodworkers hate this stuff, but personally I love it. We don't see much of it up here in NQ though. And yet farmers in Northern NSW are bulldozing the stuff cause its a noxious weed to them.

Do what ya will with it, but do it good http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/wink.gif

Dennis Hill
22nd February 2002, 07:06 AM
Camphour laurel seems to be a versatile timber. It turns well on the lathe, finishes well, and has good grain patterns. It also clears the head when you run some through the thichnesser!!. A word of warning though; this stuff often grows on fence lines and farmers and other people tend to leave things in the forks of trees on fence lines. The tree then grows over this object, and then it becomes like a little time bomb waiting for someone like you or me to find it with some sharp, expensive, high speed cutting edge. Watch out for horse shoes, barbed wire, bottles, clothing and anything else that you can think of.
All that aside, it is a great timber to work with and worth the effort of breaking down into boards. I doubt that you will be disapointes.
Dennis Hill

ubeaut
22nd February 2002, 11:21 AM
Planks are traditionally used for camphor wood boxes (chests), blanket boxes, etc. Keeps the moths, silverfish and other nasties at bay, whilst imparting a fresh clean smell to the coodies stored inside.

It is also a very nice timber to turn but somewhat inclined to warping if turned too green.